Compatibilty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibilty

Are any parts off of a 1980 XS850SG compatible with my 1978 XS1100 such as final drive, brakes, rotors etc?

Thanks
    current bikes:
    1983 GS 1100E
    2009 Kaw Vulcan 1700 Classic

past bikes:
    1978 XS 1100
    1994 FZR 600
    1984 V65 Sabre
    1973 CB 750
    1974 CB 750
    1979 KZ 750 twin
    1977 CB 550
    1983 XJ 750 Seca
    1981 900 super sport
    too many others to list

Final drive would be like doing the "750 FD Swap". Definitely not a direct bolt-on, but it can be made to work, with a noticable change in gearing. I believe the rotors will work, since I think all the XS rotors are the same, except for some having slots in them. The calipers, however, are a different story. The fronts will definitely not work, as they are from a Special, but I'm not sure about the rears.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      Final drive would be like doing the "750 FD Swap". Definitely not a direct bolt-on, but it can be made to work, with a noticable change in gearing. I believe the rotors will work, since I think all the XS rotors are the same, except for some having slots in them. The calipers, however, are a different story. The fronts will definitely not work, as they are from a Special, but I'm not sure about the rears.
      Rotors from a 850SG are smaller 10 3/4" which would make them smaller than the XS1100 rotors.
      BDF Special
      80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
      Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
        Rotors from a 850SG are smaller 10 3/4" which would make them smaller than the XS1100 rotors.
        Good to know! They sure LOOK the same.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Yes they do and I found out the hard way that they are different sizes
          BDF Special
          80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
          Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I found a 850 for parts but I think I will pass.
            current bikes:
            1983 GS 1100E
            2009 Kaw Vulcan 1700 Classic

past bikes:
            1978 XS 1100
            1994 FZR 600
            1984 V65 Sabre
            1973 CB 750
            1974 CB 750
            1979 KZ 750 twin
            1977 CB 550
            1983 XJ 750 Seca
            1981 900 super sport
            too many others to list

Comment

You can also use the oil cooler that was stock on the 850 on an XS or XJ 1100...

However I wouldn't take one unless it was dirt cheap or free. Too much left over crap I couldn't use.

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by figman View Post
                Are any parts off of a 1980 XS850SG compatible with my 1978 XS1100 such as final drive, brakes, rotors etc?
                Thanks
                Hi Figman,
                direct swap:-
                Front wheel, brake calipers, brake m/cs, handlebars & h/b switches, speedo, mirrors, front fender, rear light, signals, headlamp.
                Won't fit:-
                Brake rotors, tach, seat, gas tank, rear fender.
                Will substitute:-
                Rear drive unit to give lower ratio (less rpms at a given speed).
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The left handlebar switch is different but can be made to work if you take it apart and do some mods on the wiring. I've done it once but I don't remember the exact procedure. It's not for the faint of heart or people than cannot solder...

Geezer
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                  X