X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by petejw View Post
    what are you guys using to lube
    the cylinders when honing?
    I have used brake fluid with good results just not on an xs11.
    '79 XS11SF

Comment

Mine was making a smoke screen... the 78E.

Took the cyls to a shop for a hone.. it was too cheap to bother. Few beers worth.
      Got new rings from out yamaha distributer. Stock ones. not all that expencive.
      Got new valve stem seals with my gasket kit.

That solved the problem. Compression dropped a bit, but it was too high to begin with (12-13).
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Typically, a ball hone is for cleanup in otherwise true cylinders and used by someone that changes rings and or pistons often in high performance applications utilizing "soft" rings, to provide some initial surface character needed to "break in" the new rings. You need to have measurements like cylinder wall taper and out of round to know that the cylinders are true.
        Only a cylinder honing/resizing machine can correct taper or out of round defects, which are common among higher mileage, non-racing application engines, and the usual culprit in the 'whodunnit' of low compression / oil consumption crimes. A ball hone cannot correct these types of wear conditions.
        In other words, a ball hone will allow for the seating of new rings, but will only be beneficial if the cylinders are true.
        '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Working...
        X