another tire qusetion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another tire qusetion

i know we all keep going thru this over and over... but to make the Texas run (if there is one) i need a new set of tires and i am lost .. every ones opinion is welcome . i kinda ride my 78e like a new sport bike and i am looking for a good set of tires that can handle the twisties without desiding to slide out from under me. Thanks all
    Shawn
    78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
    78 XS1100E Parts
    www.hotrod1972.com

All depends on the amount of $$$ you wnat to put out. Quite a few here are running the Dunlop Elite II 491's, myself included. No comparison to my old Avons, I just hope they last as long...... Also great for touring, although I don't ride too too aggressive. Bridgestone Spitfires are also well spoken for. Good Luck,
    Dennis - aka - Skinny Biker
    Courtenay, B.C.
    1981 XS 11 SH

Comment

Have you tried Bridgestone BT45's They're dual compound, hard in the middle for long life and soft on the edges for cornering adhesion.
      Mike F
      Mike Farnworth
      XS1100 E & XS1100 Sport Project

Comment

i looked at the spitfire and the b45 both look pretty good i might just have to play test dummy and buy a set. I have a bridestone on the back now that i bought off ebay for $28 but i dont think i am going to get more than 3000 miles out of it.
        Shawn
        78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
        78 XS1100E Parts
        www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Skinny biker is right it depends on the amount of money you want to put out,,,Dunlops are medium expensive and good for touring for all I have heard,,,,,,never run them,i run Metzlers,great for corners and just great for grab,,,,,Cost a little more,but to me they are worth it,,,have run Bridgestones ,,,,,Pirelli,and the like, Metzelers for my money,,,,$130 for the rear and $110 for the front,,,,I made it to near 13,000 miles on my last rear tire. Lots of high speed driving. YMMV But look around,,,lots of tougher riders here than me,,and lots depend on Dunlops.
          Ken Krieger
          Chesterfield, Va.
          81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
          82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
          82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
          79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
          1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
          85 XJ700 Maxim
          06 VMax - Black Max
          85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

Chen Shin

They are cheap, I like replacing my tires every other year.......

Comment

tire

I got a contninental on the front of the mongrel, and a Cheng on the rear.. both have got me over 1K since i got the bike from the po.. dont know but seem to be doing pretty well..
              jeff "Wags"
              Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
              79sf rusty
              79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

tires part 2

course on Rusty i have 2 brand new metzlers, but they been sitting under a tarp for 15 years.. shucks, the rear even still has a few 'whiskers' on it.
                jeff "Wags"
                Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
                79sf rusty
                79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

Re: tires part 2

Originally posted by Jdwags
                  course on Rusty i have 2 brand new metzlers, but they been sitting under a tarp for 15 years.. shucks, the rear even still has a few 'whiskers' on it.
                  Same here... brand new metzlers on, minus some thread when the previous owners shaft drive seized up at 80mph.
                  Anybody know how does a pair of arrowmaxes work on the eleven (78E)

LP
                  If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                  (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Hey Fellas,
                    I got dunlop k491 front and rear on my bike. they are nice tires, i do most of my fast driving in a strait line. Central ohio is flat. My friend has bridgestone spitfires on his xs750sf and likes them well. never buy cheap motorcycle tires.
                    Bill Woods
                    1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
                    1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
                    2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

JUST TO LET YOU ALL KNOW:

You CAN put a larger tire on the rear of your 78 XS11E despite what Yamaha may tell you.

The factory calls for either a 110/90-17 or a 120/90-17

I just had a 130/90-17 installed yesterday with NO PROBLEMS. There is still plenty of clearance on both sides.

Don't try to squeeze in a 140, it won't work. But 130 is a good width to keep your XS11 planted to the asphalt.

P.S. I have read that it is not wise to go a step wider on the front. It can create problems. Ride ON!!!
                      1978 Yamaha XS1100 Standard

Comment

OK so what am I doing wrong? I can't get more than 3500 mi. out of a rear Super Venom....
                        Marty in NW PA
                        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                        This IS my happy face.

Comment

I just replaced a super venom yesterday after only getting just under 3000 miles on it. I couldn't believe how quickly it balded!!
                          I get after the throttle more so than not, but never light up the tires leaving a cloud behind. So, as we all should know by now, the XS11 is a torque monster and chews up tires unless you put. Also, there are only about three companies that make ALL tires. Don't go wasting $250 on a tire that won't last any longer than a $100 tire. Also try to find a touring tire that is a little harder. They seem to hold up better mileage wise. You don't get that tenacious grip of a softy, but I'm sure you would rather spend your money elsewhere. Tires can get expensive : especially when you have a spastic wrist (like myself)!! BTW, I took an extended ride today and the wider 130 rear really makes a difference. I would recommend it!!
                          1978 Yamaha XS1100 Standard

Comment

good, cheap tires??

i was fortunate to pick up a dunlop K491-16 from MAW's closeout sale for less than $55, delivered. took 5 days, but that wasnt a problem for me. at that time, there was a Pirelli there for under $40. might wanna check that list for good tires, cheap!
                            - dan
                            - thinker57@lycos.com
                            - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

Dunlop GT 501

I just put some Dunlop GT 501s on my brothers bike and they are swell. I bought them and intended them for my XS11 but his tires were nearly bald so he got them. They are very grippy and he is pretty pleased with them. They won't last as long as 491 IIs but they seem to grip a little better and they were only a couple of bucks more.

Mr. Jake
                              '80 SG

Comment

Working...
                              X