another tire qusetion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sksxs1100

So did you buy the Spitfires? If so how did you like them?

Thanks,
    Bob
    #1 ’79 XS11 Special
    #2 ’79 XS11 Special
    '97 V-Max
    '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

I use BT45's, or at least I will be going too. My dad is currently using them and they are very good rubber. I think that was what was originally put on at the factory. On my 80G, I have a severly cupped dunlop and a chines peice of crapo. They handle ok. SKSXS1100, is your SN related to the SKS rifle? Just curious because I found some unissued yugo versions a year ago. Good Machinery, just like the XS1100
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

I used to use the splitfires. They are dual compound rubber. The compound around the center is a little slick on wet paved roads in Kansas! The sidewalls tend to crack, which I suppose is really OK, but psychologically they take the fun out of going fast. They do wear well for the front tires.

Originally posted by Bill__Woods
        Hey Fellas,
        I got dunlop k491 front and rear on my bike. they are nice tires, i do most of my fast driving in a strait line. Central ohio is flat. My friend has bridgestone spitfires on his xs750sf and likes them well. never buy cheap motorcycle tires.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Dunlops...

Been running the 491 Elite II, love 'em, good stick, many miles and last week on sale at Cycle Gear for $64.99 because they are not being made anymore, as you might guess, bought two. I run the 130's on the back and drag all kinds of stuff in the twisties without any slipping. Since they are no longer available I will be trying the Elite III's next time.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

marty wrote
            OK so what am I doing wrong? I can't get more than 3500 mi. out of a rear Super Venom....

yeah well thats only about 20 hours or so for you .....maybe..... ;-)
            Jim
            Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
            Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
            and SOXS
            2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

i would be interested to see which are sticky also. i am an aggressive rider, even on my harley. so stick is more important to me than wear. after all,. i am normally lucky to get 2000 miles out of the tires on my gixxer, and those are some expensive tires in comparison.
              Danny

1980 MNS
              1994 GSXR711
              1999 Harley Softail

www.streetdreams.org

Comment

Originally posted by GIXXER 711
                i would be interested to see which are sticky also. i am an aggressive rider, even on my harley. so stick is more important to me than wear. after all,. i am normally lucky to get 2000 miles out of the tires on my gixxer, and those are some expensive tires in comparison.
                Yeah, me too. I give up longevity for handling also. You may or may not like this answer, I buy my tires from the Harley shop, I get the ones for the Sporster sport/ Dyna sport(before 2003). They are called Dunlop K591s.
                I get about 3000 miles out of the rears and 6000 out of the fronts. They have a shape like a sport bike tire, wide and progressive with a softer than usual compound. As long as you don't mind that the tires say Harley Davidson in bold letters on the side of them, they have been my favorite tires for the last 5 years.
                I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...d=21304&mmyId=

V-rated for speeds up to 149mph
                  Better wet grip, cornering and traction from directional tread pattern
                  Excellent performance under cornering stresses and higher speeds
                  DOT approved for street use

These tires look wider in person. They look wider than the other style tires on the rack of the same size. There should'nt be a problem with weight ratings since the Harleys these are made for are heavier than our bikes.

Comment

that is very similar to my brigstone bt45 pattern
                    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                    Acta Non Verba

Comment

If the Spitfires are slippery on wet Kansas roads, they are going to be slippery on wet Iowa roads also. I guess I’ll stick with Dunlop. They are only about $36 more money for the pair. My Dyna had the Harley Davidson Dunlop tires on it when I got it. They were OK but I like the Dunlop Elite II’s a little better and they last longer.

Thanks again,
                      Bob
                      #1 ’79 XS11 Special
                      #2 ’79 XS11 Special
                      '97 V-Max
                      '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

Hi there Plaindick, Elite II's are still in production..............but good thing you bought two as Goodyear(goodyear owns Dunlop) has been on strike, and auto tires WILL take priority, so being several months behind,,,,,,,,,,well, good luck getting your favorite tire this spring............and a big increase in bike tire cost in general after Jan. too. This all came to me from my local Honda dealer who does purchasing(and sells me tires for cost). Alot of dealers have ordered a larger than usual stock because of strike, but don't count on it. Rest of manufacturer's are gonna take advantage of your wallet cause of goodyear strike also. Example: 205 'run flat' Dunlop radials for my ST now list for $199.99 rear, $140and change front. I pay $230 for both including tax now so bought extra set as increases in price will decrease a heavy throttle hand and lighter braking, which goes for the Venturer1100 shod with Metz Laser front and Dunlop 404 rear, a perfectly matched combination of tire radius configuration, superb grip in corners, and long lasting, seems to be a great combination of having it both ways.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi there Plaindick, Elite II's are still in production..............but good thing you bought two as Goodyear(goodyear owns Dunlop) has been on strike, and auto tires WILL take priority, so being several months behind,,,,,,,,,,well, good luck getting your favorite tire this spring............and a big increase in bike tire cost in general after Jan. too. This all came to me from my local Honda dealer who does purchasing(and sells me tires for cost). Alot of dealers have ordered a larger than usual stock because of strike, but don't count on it. Rest of manufacturer's are gonna take advantage of your wallet cause of goodyear strike also. Example: 205 'run flat' Dunlop radials for my ST now list for $199.99 rear, $140and change front. I pay $230 for both including tax now so bought extra set as increases in price will decrease a heavy throttle hand and lighter braking, which goes for the Venturer1100 shod with Metz Laser front and Dunlop 404 rear, a perfectly matched combination of tire radius configuration, superb grip in corners, and long lasting, seems to be a great combination of having it both ways.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey there Goin Commando, the Dunlop 404 is the same tire compound,tread pattern, belt configuration and cost less, aside from not having Hardly on the side.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman
                              Hey there Goin Commando, the Dunlop 404 is the same tire compound,tread pattern, belt configuration and cost less, aside from not having Hardly on the side.
                              yep, that is what is on my harley now, the 404.
                              Danny

1980 MNS
                              1994 GSXR711
                              1999 Harley Softail

www.streetdreams.org

Comment

Looks different to me, and it's only H rated. H rated is only good for 130 mph, that means it is not made the same as the K591. Could be the reason it is cheaper, not as good a tire.
                                When the description states that it is engineered for high milage, that means it's not going to be a real grippy tire. I'm not saying that it is a bad tire, just not real sporty.
                                quote:
                                "i would be interested to see which are sticky also. i am an aggressive rider, even on my harley. so stick is more important to me than wear. after all,."

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...d=21304&mmyId=

Comment

Working...
                                X