What are these prongs for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these prongs for?

This may sounds a bit nerdy but I've taken several XS1100's apart and always wondered what the two prongs are which are found on the metal support bracket for the rear mudguard. I took my seat off tonight and saw them again.... what are they for? You can see them at the middle of the bracket in the photo, facing left.........

Anybody out there know?

XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

On Tsunami and Purple Reign, they hold a spare electrical connector of some sort.

Never have gone looking to see what the plug is for, but probably has something to do with more lights at the rear end.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Aha! So that's what they're for... It'll be something on the wiring loom that we don't have here in the UK........ Thanks!
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Turn, brake, and running lights. I thought they were for the touring package but it looks like you have it Ken and they are not used.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Its the reserve lighting unit.

for touring bags.

should be 6 wires in the big bundle and two in the small one.

Edit: how did I not see you already answered that?

Comment

All good guesses.........Ken is the closest! That is a plug in for trailer lights. Ironic cause the owners manual warns against trailer pulling, yet has a factory installed plug-in which is all still intact on mine also. Just know that as I was informed that when I bought my V
            enturer new. The other extruding tab is for the cable to hold suspension up to remove the axle shaft by the mufflers.......not needed on the 81 Specials or Standards, although mine came with the cable stored in the latch box on the inside of the left cover..........go figure having the short upswept exhaust on all three of the 81 models.
            Last edited by motoman; 01-22-2011, 08:37 PM. Reason: add info.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

BTW, the right side swing-arm has a small loop weled on to attach the cable hook holding swing arm up. The looped end of cable hooks on that extruding piece. Hope that helps the curiosity part......
              Last edited by motoman; 01-22-2011, 08:51 PM. Reason: add info
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
              X