Charging problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Incubus View Post
    Jorge, do you have an aftermarket Halogen headlight? A higher wattage than stock could draw juice enough to lower the voltage at the battery. Any other electrics, like running lights, GPS, radio or anything?

When you tested the voltage at the battery, how long did you hold the motor at 4,000 rpm? Did you just rev it up there for a couple seconds or did you hold it for 10-15 seconds? The gauge can continue climbing at a slower rate for a while after it might seemed to have peaked.
    +1 on the slow rise, particularly if the battery is not fully charged to start with. However, the fact that the battery runs down when apparently trying to ride it, tends to point to it not reaching that magic point (at minimum .5 volt above 100% voltage for a lead acid battery (said value is actually 13.8v)) so that charging can take place. Hopefully cleaning connections will do it, but the OP claims to have done 80%, of which it's very likely that the charging stuff was done.

Extra load as you say could well be an issue as well, but can be tested by disabling the headlight for a short time.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
      +1 on the slow rise, particularly if the battery is not fully charged to start with. However, the fact that the battery runs down when apparently trying to ride it, tends to point to it not reaching that magic point (at minimum .5 volt above 100% voltage for a lead acid battery (said value is actually 13.8v)) so that charging can take place. Hopefully cleaning connections will do it, but the OP claims to have done 80%, of which it's very likely that the charging stuff was done.

Extra load as you say could well be an issue as well, but can be tested by disabling the headlight for a short time.
      Sure, 80% done is good, unless the 20% not done is behind the fuse panel
      Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
        Sure, 80% done is good, unless the 20% not done is behind the fuse panel
        Agreed, and it would be good the check the 3 or so connections involved and make sure they are clean. However, unless he has some gawdawful headlight on the thing, I don't think that's likely to be an issue. It's either going to be the connections in the charging circuit, or the reg, I would pretty much bet on one of those.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Agreed, i was referring to the field coil and the stator connectors behind the fuse panel
          Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Working...
          X