X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging problems

Hello XS lovers
    I'm back with my battery not charging
    Now I noticed that the charging sistem is ok when bike is in Idle but when I engage the bike to drive it the battery is gone in a few minutes
    Any ideas of what may be wrong
    Already check conections and de magneto

Have your battery tested . It is most likely shot if it isn't holding a charge.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Does the battery actually drain to nothing / how long does it take?

You say you checked connections but did you check them all, headlight to tailight, clean Nd fill them with dielecteic greas?

What are you voltage readings at idle and then also at 4000 rpms?
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That's a good operative piece. The charging cannot be good at "idle" on these bikes without running a high idle AND one of geezers regulators. So, that "good at idle" is probably bad, and the system is probably not putting out anything at all (or very little). Since requirements increase with engine speed, the battery would of course drain much faster when riding (plus brake light etc).
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Well I did check 90%of the connection, the battery is brand new
          When in Idle will read 15.5 V when at 4000 rpm at the begging reads 18.60V and once steady reads 17-17.6V

Comment

Originally posted by jorge lobo View Post
            Well I did check 90%of the connection, the battery is brand new
            When in Idle will read 15.5 V when at 4000 rpm at the begging reads 18.60V and once steady reads 17-17.6V
            There is either something BAD wrong with your charging system and your battery will be toast soon, or there is something wrong with your meter. Those readings are WAY out of whack, and point to something really bad wrong.

Normally the voltage would read at or maybe even slightly below when at idle, and then rise to 14.5 to 14.8. Anything higher than that WILL boil the battery to death, anything less and it's not going to charge. And AFAIK based on experience, either one will cause problems. However, it shouldn't be possible to get 15v at idle, the system just is not capable of generating that voltage at anything less than 1400 RPM, and in most cases needs a little more than that even so.
            Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Spade Fuse Box
            750 FD Mod
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Ok I will have to open the new tester do you thing that maybe the voltmregulator is fry

Comment

Could you post a picture of your reegulator/rectifier? Never know maybe a PO has.done something......clever.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Oh and what is your idle at?
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The idle is 800-1000rpm

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      Could you post a picture of your reegulator/rectifier? Never know maybe a PO has.done something......clever.
                      Well it look good and the original but I'll try to get one

Comment

Originally posted by jorge lobo View Post
                        Well it look good and the original but I'll try to get one
                        First is to make sure your getting a good test. Those readings are WAY high for that idle speed, which points to the tester.

You say it's a new battery, did you charge it for at least several hours before putting it into service? They don't come with a full charge, only about 80% and need a charge put on them before being put into service. But step one is to insure that you are getting true accurate voltage readings when testing, then you can go from there.

Can you try the tester on a known good system (such as a car)? Voltages should be similar, but cars will give pretty much full voltage at idle unlike a bike.
                        Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        750 FD Mod
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

I cannot explain that idle reading. Cy is right; it is way too high.

I got running readings like those when I first got Incubus running last year. In my case, it was a bad reg/rec. They can go bad and allow the alternator to charge too high, as well as go bad and constrict current flow.

That's where I would look (after I checked my tester).

Patrick
                          The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                          1969 Yamaha DT1B
                          Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

What is the best way to test the reg/ rectifier

Comment

The best way(s) are described above. Have you checked the alternator case to see if there is a magnetic field there when the key is on? A small paper clip should be attracted to it when the key is on. One other way is to unplug it and then start. You should get a below 12v reading at the battery. That would prove that either the reg is toast OR you have a short to ground on the green wire. Then check the green on the harness for a short to ground. If no short, replace the reg.
                              Last edited by DAVINCI; 01-19-2011, 06:47 PM.
                              Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Working...
                              X