CARB DISSASEMBLY AND CLEANING *pic heavy*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CARB DISSASEMBLY AND CLEANING *pic heavy*

well i got extremely board and decided to go out and take off the carbs on the judge. took me literally 40 sec (thanks to the pods). so this is what i discovered:

the jets under the carb bowl is 137.5
    and the main is 180 across the board

the think acually looks pretty clean but for precautions i went ahead and and got some wire and poked through the all the holes pretty clean. only thing i got to do now is set the whole body in some cleaner to clean off the grease and grime. i also when ahead semi polished (not done just ran out of sand paper) he tops and im going to paint the bottoms (maybe the tops if i dont like it). ok fist thing i knoticed was that after i removed the slide the brass thing that the air needle slides into seem out of round some worse then others. would this effect the performance or do you thin it will be ok.

here are the pics

[IMG]http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac213/leedutcher
    /GEDC0003.jpg[/IMG]

_____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

The pictures showing the "out of round" part is actually a little guard type thing that sticks up from the emulsion tubes. I can't remember exactly what I read the purpose of those guards was but based on personal experience my recommendation would be this...
    1. Don't try to straighten them - they'll break off the tube and that will definitely change the performance from one carb to the next - don't ask how I know.
    2. You're stuck with what you've got - the tubes are no longer available other then used ones- and they may not be better then what you've already got.
    3. The damage was likely caused by a PO trying to pull the tubes out with pliers - don't make the same mistake, with the bowls off remove the main jet and tap the tubes out from the bottom.

I think what would be more important is if the actual hole down the center of the tube is out of round - allowing fuel to leak past the needle when it shouldn't but as I said above your kind of stuck with them.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

The main is 137.5, and 180 would be the air jets.

Did you take the screw off next to the main jet to access the pilot jets ?
      Stock would be 42.5 They should be taken out and cleaned also. Just be careful removing that screw it's easily stripped.

The needle jets you are concered about don't look too bad but I would replace them just for piece of mind. Lots of guys have spares kicking around.
      Like Psycoreefer stated they can be removed easily from the bottom when the carb bowls are removed. I use a wooden dowel and a light tap they come out or remove the washer under the main jet and screw an old jet back in and tap lightly they pop right out.
      BDF Special
      80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
      Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

They gotta come out anyways so the holes in the tube can be cleaned.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

you talking about the big metal flat head screw? no but i will thanks first time cleaning carbs...lol... think it will be ok to put the carb bodys in a hot tank for a while? i think i might get plasic floats to. as you can see that the brass one are kinda gross but i might let them sit in clr
          _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

It depends on what is in the "Hot Tank". Don't soak the carb bodies in anything corrosive (like carb cleaner), or you will damage the butterfly shaft seals. I have heard of some folks soaking in Simple Green or even PineSol with decent results, but be sure to rinse them off thoroughly, as the Simple Green can eat the aluminum if left on it too long.

Unless your floats are not floating, I's say to leave them. Plastic floats are fine, but why spend more money when you don't have to?
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
              It depends on what is in the "Hot Tank". Don't soak the carb bodies in anything corrosive (like carb cleaner), or you will damage the butterfly shaft seals. I have heard of some folks soaking in Simple Green or even PineSol with decent results, but be sure to rinse them off thoroughly, as the Simple Green can eat the aluminum if left on it too long.

Unless your floats are not floating, I's say to leave them. Plastic floats are fine, but why spend more money when you don't have to?
              well i got a sh*t ton of simple green ill soak them in that. but rinsing them in water? wont that corrode them more?

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Do you get all the water off your bike after it rains? Or even after washing it? I doubt it... A thorough rinse in warm water will get the Simple Green off, and if it's warm enough, the water will evaporate quickly. You can use a carb cleaner spray and compressed air afterward to be sure.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Those floats do look to need a good cleaning. The plastic floats are nicer and less problematic as to getting holes or denting and such. But they are not cheap.

Like everyone has stated, I'd definitely pull the emulsion tubes out, and also the pilot jets (under the flat head screw) I also pull the mixture screw out and clean those thoroughly. Cleanliness is not just next to Godliness for carbs, it is mandatory.

As to the tops of the emulsion tubes, look at your needle jets, and see if they are rubbing against those bent in edges. Honestly, those bent edges will effect air flow and therefore on some level the carb performance. But if you have not noticed it, then it probably is not significant. If it were me, I'd see what new (gently used) emulsion tubes cost, and see if its worth it to you.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    Like everyone has stated, I'd definitely pull the emulsion tubes out
                    ....err...you mean, 'push'...right?
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

yamalube

yamaha sales one of the best carb cleaners they are for about 9.00 and all the mechanics here in NC say it is the bomb.....story behind that but i wont go there now....another on bike thingy they do here in NC is use a gas additive they sale at the parts house ....cant for the life of me think of the name now i just worked 12 hrs. on nite shift....
                      windjammer gump
                      bikes now own
                      1981xs1100sh special
                      1971 cb 350
                      mini chopper project
                      bikes use to own
                      1978 750/four..
                      1983kz1100 ltd

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                        ....err...you mean, 'push'...right?
                        Call it midwestern slang for remove them. But yes, I also use a wooden dowel (since wood is softer than the brass and will deform before the brass emulsion tube) to drive them out from the bottom or main jet side.

Note, only try this AFTER removing the cap, spring and diaphram with the needle jet in it from the top side.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Lee, i have emulsion tubes and plastic floats if you need any

Comment

Originally posted by wickedxs View Post
                            Lee, i have emulsion tubes and plastic floats if you need any
                            pm me some pics of the emulation tubes and throw me a deal then maybe. i have all winter to clean these carbs.

yamaha sales one of the best carb cleaners they are for about 9.00 and all the mechanics here in NC say it is the bomb.....story behind that but i wont go there now....another on bike thingy they do here in NC is use a gas additive they sale at the parts house ....cant for the life of me think of the name now i just worked 12 hrs. on nite shift....
                            ill try it thats pretty cheap. i got to buy some bigger mains and jets anyway for the pods and exhaust...
                            Last edited by lee_dutcher; 01-17-2011, 05:47 PM.

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Carb Cleaning

Lee Be very careful with simple green. Only leave them soaking for about 30 minutes and never let it dry on the surface. Rinse with water right away. I had a bad experience with this stuff last year doing my carb bodies. I managed to scrounge a few extra sets this year and found myself a large ultra sound machine with a heater in it. I got fantastic results using hot water and dove dish detergent in the machine. And using a tooth brush on the real bad spots. They all look like new. No need for harsh chemicals at all if you can find someone with an ultra sound machine.
                              mack
                              79 XS 1100 SF Special
                              HERMES
                              original owner
                              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                              SPICA
                              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                              IOTA
                              https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                              https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                              Frankford, Ont, Canada
                              613-398-6186

Comment

Working...
                              X