Blasting/painting motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blasting/painting motor

Does anyone in or around the Oklahoma City area blast and paint motors? I am getting ready to re-build my XJ1100 motor with a Wiseco kit and wanted to get the rest of the motor looking good. Have most of the outer engine parts already cleaned and polished, needing the bottom end, head and cylinders done. Thanks

Jamie,
    If you have a compressor that can handle it, Harbor Freight has the sand hopper with the gun for about $30. That's what I used and it worked fine.
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Cobia,
      Do you have any pics of your motor after you blasted and painted? What paint? What did or does Yamaha use on their engines?

Comment

If you do have the cases blasted, I'd recommend going with soda blasting. It won't leave harmful grit around to get inside your engine...

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Good to know, thanks!

Comment

dad, the genius, and I used aircraft stripper to clean the engines up and then just rattle can painted with a high gloss high heat paint, turned out great and was super cheap. geniusloerts or ridinagain should have pix
            Casey
            1980 xs1100g "Frankenstein" (Now with a mind of his own!)

"What do you mean I can't park this thing here?"
            "Shiny side up? I don't have a shiny side."

Comment

This looks like a handy little set up for small items

http://darksatanicmill.com/?p=263
              Kawasaki 74 XL400S, 83 550 GPz
              Honda 86 GL1200, 80 XL500S, 82 750 Nighthawk
              Yamaha 78 XS1100E, 80 XS1100G, 92 YZ80
              Suzuki 82 GS650L

Comment

Jamie,
                Here's a link to the string where you can see the progress with pictures.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30638

Just cut and paste it to get there, having 'puter problems with my browser.

I basically used, and am using, Duplicolor/VHT products. On the engine I used the high temp primer then painted it with satin black. On the frame I used a glossy black epoxy paint meant for rims and other suspension parts. It dries to a very hard and fairly chip-resistant finish.
                On the gold stuff I'm using their brightest gold paint, which is never as shiny or metalic as shown on the lid, and then I clear coat it with a finishing product they have for rims and such. Again, it cures to a hard chip-resistant finish, and so far hasn't yellowed on the front rim of my G.
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Use air craft coating remover to get the bulk of the paint off it and then glass bead it. Make sure you plug all opening to the engine completely and securely. I pack the opening with clean rags and then duct tape everything tightly. Even with this done avoid pointing the chosen media at the sealed openings.
                  Rob
                  KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
                  X