No announcement yet.

always something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just saw an ad for these Lithium-Iron (not Lithium-Ion) bike batteries in Motorcyclist magazine this month. They are a bit pricier ($186.95) thatnthe WalMart ones, but they claim a longer service life and can last a year without any maint. at all. Anyone used anything like this? They sound promising, according to this thread on the ST-Owners forum.
    Last edited by CatatonicBug; 01-10-2011, 11:01 AM.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      I just saw an ad for these Lithium-Iron (not Lithium-Ion) bike batteries in Motorcyclist magazine this month. They are a bit pricier ($186.95) thatnthe WalMart ones, but they claim a longer service life and can last a year without any maint. at all. Anyone used anything like this? They sound promising, according to this thread on the ST-Owners forum.
      Well, that sounds nice, but the glass mat batteries last longer than a year without maint, so I'm not sure that's such a deal. I mean I check mine about twice a year and top it off, and I just changed from the battery that came in my bike last summer, and I don't know how old that was, but frankly, I would rather pay $40 every couple years than $186 every couple years. It would be interesting to see over time how they hold up (and BTW, hondas have a rep for eating batteries, we use the same one as old goldwings and everybody I talked to said they generally last a year in them if your lucky).
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
        Well, that sounds nice, but the glass mat batteries last longer than a year without maint, so I'm not sure that's such a deal. I mean I check mine about twice a year and top it off, and I just changed from the battery that came in my bike last summer, and I don't know how old that was, but frankly, I would rather pay $40 every couple years than $186 every couple years. It would be interesting to see over time how they hold up (and BTW, hondas have a rep for eating batteries, we use the same one as old goldwings and everybody I talked to said they generally last a year in them if your lucky).
        It wasn't that they DIE after a year, just that the hold a charge that long without a trickle. They are supposed to have 4-5 times the service length of the lead/acid ones (i.e., 12-15 years).
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          It wasn't that they DIE after a year, just that the hold a charge that long without a trickle. They are supposed to have 4-5 times the service length of the lead/acid ones (i.e., 12-15 years).
          Ok, so you should be able with one of them to let it sit all winter and have it crank right over in the spring? That does sound pretty cool.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
            Ok, so you should be able with one of them to let it sit all winter and have it crank right over in the spring? That does sound pretty cool.
            That's how understand the marketing anyway!
            1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

We all know though that there is not much for truth in marketing unfortunately. But it does sound intriguing, I certainly do not want to be the guinea pig though
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Battery Tender

I recently bought battery tenders for each of my bikes. Caught them on sale at Sears.com for $19 a piece and so far work very well. I originally bought one for my FZ1 because I was having trouble keeping the battery fully charged, mostly from lack of riding. It worked so well, I bought 3 more for my other bikes. My job requires me to be away for long periods of time so this is a good fit for me.
                http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1219000P?mv=rr
                78 XS1100E Standard
                Coca Cola Red
                Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

I ended up buying a Walmart battery and a Schumacher battery maintainer. Added the liquid smoke and charged it up took about 6 hours total I plan on installing it tomorrow with the maintainer leads and we will see how she does
                  91 kwaka kz1000p
                  Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Originally posted by GARTHXS View Post
                    and charged it up took about 6 hours total.... and we will see how she does
                    It won't do well... with only a 6 hour activation, this battery will have a shortened life.
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

batteries

tenders help the life and sears carrys these for 20 SOMETHING DOLLARS all the time if you have power to hook into
                      windjammer gump
                      bikes now own
                      1981xs1100sh special
                      1971 cb 350
                      mini chopper project
                      bikes use to own
                      1978 750/four..
                      1983kz1100 ltd

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                        It won't do well... with only a 6 hour activation, this battery will have a shortened life.
                        The instructions say 3-7 hours so it should do fine. And at 45 bucks its less than half what I paid for my last agm
                        91 kwaka kz1000p
                        Stock

Comment

So took her out for a spin and she ran great. But once again something else the blinkers ran out of fluid so pulled off everything massaged it and now they work? Don't you hate problems that fix themselves
                          91 kwaka kz1000p
                          Stock

Comment

Originally posted by GARTHXS View Post
                            So took her out for a spin and she ran great. But once again something else the blinkers ran out of fluid so pulled off everything massaged it and now they work? Don't you hate problems that fix themselves
                            Yes, unless they never come back.
                            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                            X