Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special tools for 2nd gear fix...

OK.
    Todays the day I tear into the SF to fix the second gear/skipping problem.
    I have most of an additional transmission available, including a fully repaired/modded/undercut countershaft supplied by another member. The replacement gears and dogs look good so I won't have to do that part of the job.
    I am just about to head to the local autoparts supplier for last minute stuff.

In addition to a t30 torx bit, a can of the Right Stuff and standard tools, is there anything else that I need? What is the size of the big clutch nut?
    I am going to try and do this on the centerstand, starting later today and all day tomorrow if it comes to it...

Just don't want to get stuck being "nearly there.." for lack of a thing-or-two...

Regards,

Gareth.

IIRC, the clutch takes a 25mm. DO NOT take my word for this, as it's been over six months since I've been into a clutch. You WILL need an impact tool, air or hand, for the clutch nut. A chisel wit ha slight hook or bend at the end will help with the look washer when you put the clutch back together.Good luck!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I think that nut is a 27mm, but would have to check when I get back to the garage.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Clutch nut is 27mm, or an 1 1/16" will work. You can use the rear brake lever with the bike in gear to hold the engine from spinning to break loose the nut.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 01-08-2011, 02:51 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

1 1/16" socket worked well...the nut was not very tight at all, very little pressure needed to move it. Without the locking tab in place, that sucker would never have stayed put. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of job the PO did when he did the dremel fix the first time..

G.

Comment

dremel chainsaw sharping bits I used 3
            dremel tool
            a 1/8 round ball tipped carbid bit from fastenal would be nice too.
            I ground mine using the drill press too, made a nice edge to keep the angle consistent.

Lots of beer or coffee

ditigital camera so you can remeber where everthing goes, I use it on almost everthing I take apart, although it never fails that I alway forget to take a pics of what I cant remeber

Comment

All apart, replacement countershaft is being a huge pain to reinstall. This seems to be a typical problem that most people eventually overcome. I'm having a LOT of trouble. I have read a bunch of tech tips on this after numerous different searches and still waiting for my "ah-hah" moment.
              The kickstart mechanism isn't helping any..

Can the kickstart mechanism/ gears be removed and then reinstalled after the countershaft is in..?

The bike is on the centerstand.
              I'm on my back cussin' up a storm with all the stuff 3" from my nose..
              I'm going to give it another shot tonight , then leave it for tomorrow. If it doesn't go right, then I will consider flipping the bike rubber-side-up.

G.

Comment

Hey Gareth,

The first time I did this project, I spent hours trying to get that bloody shaft back in. I figured out that for me anyway, I slide the middle driven gear, and the 1st gear out to the end of the countershaft, fist gear slides off the inner sleeve bearing as well. This lets them rock on the shaft so they can slide up into place and mesh with their corresponding gears. Then I carefully slide line the shaft up with the teeth on the middle driven gear and get the sleeve bearing started going back into first gear. Now, slowly rock the back wheel back and forth with your foot while you wiggle, push and jiggle the shaft and gears. then just when you think it iwll never go in, it will. And you will be left thinking "ok, WTF did I do differently that time??" And you will never know for sure.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

I left my bike upside down with the countershaft uninstalled. It was time to go to work. Trouble is, I might not get home until 21 Feb. I hope I can remember where everything went! The good news is, I'm in Jamaica!
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

If you did the washer switch, you'll be on your back an awful long time, I'd say.......
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Long day, bike is back together and seems to be shifting through the gears under power but I have only run it on the center stand. I will see if the weather will allow a test ride this week. I learnt a lot and could probably cut the work time in half next time. I did have a decent countershaft that Papanovember sent me that had the dremel fix already done (by trbig..). The original countershaft didn't seem that bad but the shift fork that moved 5th gear was badly galled and I suspect that was a big part of the problem. I was glad I had a spare tranny set aside just to use for parts. The replacement shaft has all the gears undercut and apparently the washer fix was done too..
                      I removed the kickstart. As I mentioned in another thread, the kickstart gear has to go in at the same time as the countershaft but it made installing the new gears a real pain. If I was to do it again I would pay a bit more attention and save the kickstart. Don't get me started on getting the shift forks to play fair...

This might have been the most complicated piece of wrenching that I have done in a while. There's nothing like assembling a complicated three-dimensional metal jigsaw puzzle, upside down, on your back, 4" from your face, with oil dripping down your neck. Next time I would flip the bike..

Feels pretty good, though, to have it done.

Jeez, I just hope it works when I gun it.

Thank you, Gentlemen, for your advice...

Regards,

G.

Comment

Congrats Gareth!! This is one of the real chalenges into "official" XSiveness!! (just kidding of course) But it does feel pretty darn good to get it all back together AND work well!!
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Super human

Don't get me started on getting the shift forks to play fair...

This might have been the most complicated piece of wrenching that I have done in a while. There's nothing like assembling a complicated three-dimensional metal jigsaw puzzle, upside down, on your back, 4" from your face, with oil dripping down your neck. Next time I would flip the bike..

Feels pretty good, though, to have it done.

Jeez, I just hope it works when I gun it.

Thank you, Gentlemen, for your advice...

Regards,

G.[/QUOTE]

Gareth,
                          I am impressed! Helping Marty remove the counter shaft & gears from his upside down bike was hard enough. I told wife I doubted that any mortal man could reinstall them from underneath. It is a miracle or you are super human. You should be proud.

Brent
                          It is a great big beautiful world out there
                          Brent in GA
                          Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Thanks for the kudos, Brent. Nothing superhuman or miraculous. You just need to be able to wiggle out from under your bike, stand up and find the bolt-gear-tool that you couldn't find by feeling around from hip to hip over your head, switching arms mid-way. Find said object exactly where you had positioned it so that it was just outside your reach...and then get down on the floor under the bike again.
                            Repeat 500 times

Comment

How do you guys safely flip your bikes over without damaging anything?
                              1980 XS1100G. Work in progress.
                              1980 XS1100G. 2nd work in progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X