No announcement yet.

Can't get 5th gear wheel off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgive me for not re reading the entire thread, but if you have not got the gears in place for the final time, I just finished going back into banshee to regrind first gear. I found a few things that really helped me consistantly put the gears back into place. (Yes, I did so more than once, those fricken shift forks will be the death of me one day.) Anyway, here are a few key moves I found that really helped.

I put the shift fork for second on the main shaft and into place on the shift drum. Then put the shift fork for first and fourth onto the fourth gear and manipulated it a bit as I moved the countershaft into place. As I put the countershaft in, I slide the second gear end up first and make certain second gear stays inside of the outer gear on the main shaft (you have to look at it to see what I mean and I was not in a photography mode today). Then let first and the middle driven gear (on the other end of the shaft where the bolt goes in) slide all the way against the case and wiggle the assemble a little as I slide it up. Even with the washer swap having been done.

Using this methodology, I was able to get the shaft into place in just a few minutes, and yes, I did so several times. And the shift fork marked with an F and a 3, that one goes to first gear, not fifth! The long end faces out on the outer shift forks.

Well, hope that helps a someone out.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I always said....

Practice makes perfect. Now you have a real skill that is saleable, but the market is spread out too much to be of much value... He He He
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Since I ended up doing it three times. I guess I know how to do it too!
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Working...
        X