No announcement yet.

Can't get 5th gear wheel off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I failed to get the countershaft back in. Hopefully, when I return to it at the end of the month, it will drop in. I can't get that middle drive gear to clear and drop down.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

The counter shaft will NOT go back in on all bikes with a washer swap. We tried it on Ed's bike in June, and had to put the washer back in the "normal" location. IF you can find a "thin" washer, you may be able to do it. The other choice would be to "shave" a little off the case so it will drop in. I think the case mold is the difference between working and not. HTH!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

It wasn't easy to remove, so I'll work at it before I give up on the washer move.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Don't know if this will help but when putting the shaft back in mine, Bike on center-stand and gravity being the BIG helper going back together still lacked just that teeny bit more side-shift to clear and go up in there. Was late at nite and frustration was setting in so gave up. Next day bout noon decided to give it another try and as soon as shaft was up in close, it just fell in place. With the clunck it jarred loose the two shift forks from above and they both dropped right down in place........gravity IS your friend if done on center stand........
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I disassembled a non reusable donor motor upside down and I have concerns with those shift forks if done on the center stand. Sure don't want to flip the bike.Gonna tackle it soon . Some Moral Support?
            79SF
            XJ11
            78E

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
              I disassembled a non reusable donor motor upside down and I have concerns with those shift forks if done on the center stand. Sure don't want to flip the bike.Gonna tackle it soon . Some Moral Support?
              I think it would be incredibly frustrating to try doing the job with the bike on the centre stand. There is a thread here which I read, where someone did manage it but said it was very tricky. IMO it's tricky even with the engine out of the frame and upside down on the floor! And, like other people have said, I could not get that countershaft back in after the washer switch. Absolutely no way.

To be honest, given the size of this job, either taking out the engine or turning the bike upside down, I personally will pay out for brand new gears rather than going for the Dremmel fix. I cannot imagine the frustration of going through all that aggro and then finding the Dremmel fix hasn't worked (isn't there a post on here where it made the problem worse?)
              That way, I'd blissfully look forward to 30,000 miles or more worry-free 2nd gear use and not always be wondering if I'd done the Dremmel thing properly.....
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

To each thier own, actually found it fairly simple to do while on center-stand and everything is in correct orientation.......JMO
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

James, the new gears have the back cut on them that the dremel repair puts on the gears, so they should last the life of the bike. As to it making things worse, well, it all depends on the result of the grinding I suppose. Anyone can do it, but it does take time and patience to work slowly and grind the gears accurately.

As to doing it on the centerstand, that is the only way I have done it. I've done this repair three or four times now between my bikes and helping others. Each time I do it, something else becomes the PITA. First time was getting the gears back in, next time was getting the gears back in, last time it was the shift forks just refusing to drop into place for me. That time, I did lay the bike over on its side so I could see what I was doing better, but only for the shift fork part. It always takes rotating the rear wheel while manipulating the countershaft to get the gears to go back in though. Not an easy thing to do with the engine out.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    That time, I did lay the bike over on its side so I could see what I was doing better, but only for the shift fork part.
                    That's the missing link my puzzler needed if I have trouble with the forks
                    79SF
                    XJ11
                    78E

Comment

back at it

I was away at work for 5 weeks. Now, I'm back at reassembly. Replacing the countershaft seems an impossible task. I can't seem to get it even close. Does the small wheel and shaft to the aft need to be removed? Is it the starter gear? It seems to be the biggest impediment to getting this back together.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

If you moved the washer, it will NOT go back in easily! Remember the order you took things out, including removing one wheel if you did. You will have to reverse the order, down to putting the shaft in and THEN putting that wheel back on.
                        HTH (though probably not much!)
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I dred the day I have to tackle this fix, hopefully I never will.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I replaced the countershaft, with the washer swap, while the bike was on the center stand. It was tough work, but the gear stack did go in eventually although I had to remove the kick-start mechanism to do so.
                            If I was going to do it again, I would get a couple of friends to help flip the bike. It was a hell of a chore doing it on the stand..
                            Just one thing. If I was planning to flip the bike, I would still drain the oil and drop the pan while the bike was rubber-side-down. If there are loose parts floating around in the pan, ( gear teeth, assorted stuff...) I don't think I would want them falling UP into the engine.
                            I took the bike for a very cold 50 mile, first post-fix test-ride yesterday and the bike seems to be doing fine. It has been standing for a while though and I have a bit of a vibration somewhere. I'm hoping I just need a carb sync, or maybe the undercut gears need a bit of time to "mesh"..

Comment

I fiddled with it until it was time to walk away. I'll get after it again on a different day.

If I turn it back over and remove the engine, will it go back together if I split the cases? At this point, I'm not even getting it close.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

If you split the cases it becomes VERY easy. But I have not had to do that yet, although I have not done it with the starter gear before. IF it came out it WILL go back in.

For me, I find I need to slide the middle driven gear to where it is JUST on the edge of the teeth part of the shaft, then slide first gear off of its center bearing. This lets those two gears be at a different angle than the shaft and slide into their homes a small amount easier. Then wiggle and push and push and wiggle and also very slowly turn the rear wheel so the gears the shaft is meshing with turn to mate up with the shaft gears. Hold your tongue JUST right while doing those things and it will eventually go into place. Every time I do the repair I find it is a complete surprise when it slides in and I know I could not repeat that trick on purpose for any amount of money. Next time it is the same gift of fate when it drops in.
                                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                                93 GSX600F
                                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                                81 XS1100 Special
                                81 CB750 C
                                80 CB750 C
                                78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                                X