No announcement yet.

No sparks = no go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tried that, but I think it might be wedged, and halfway measures are what got me here, so I'm gonna try doing it right.
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

• Originally posted by LoHo View Post
      I tried that, but I think it might be wedged, and halfway measures are what got me here, so I'm gonna try doing it right.
      I got a spark plug electrode out of another bike that way but, then again, I hadn't run the engine at all
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

• Two months ago when I started this, I took apart the kill switch as one of the early efforts to solve the no-spark. One lock washer fell off and "tinked" once on the bike. I found a/the washer near the bike, but I had the plugs out to relieve compression as I hunted for sparks. I fished around with a magnet in the cylinders on that side, but after several minutes decided I was looking in vain. Cranking the engine did not reveal any strange noises, but when I finally got her going, I had a new click/ping/grind noise. I changed starters, thinking my new one might be catching on the flywheel. Then I remembered the small lock washer. Running the bike may have wedged it in the piston/wall gap. That would explain the slow starter action.

Who knows what I've done to the head with it in there, if it is in there. (That was a rhetorical question...I know the answer)

Comment

• See if someone you know has a boroscope. It can go in through the sparkplug hole and let you look around inside.

Of course, if you want to pull it anyway to check the valves and lap and change seals...well....just do it.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

• LoHo did you ever manage to resolve your no spark issue? I've been hunting the same electrical gremlin and the bugger keeps getting away from me. my bike is currently an ornament in front of my apartment and occasionally graces craigslist when I get tired of looking at it knowing nothing about my problem.

If anyone ever managed to solve this please let me know.
            79 XS1100 Special
            Kerker 4-1, Pods, BS34 old style carbs, plastic floats, 147.5 mains, progressive rear suspension (restoring)

Comment

• I have the head off, and took the opportunity to replace the valve seals. When I get a weekend not dedicated to something else, I'll put her back together. I had gotten spark, when the loud ticking of the screw being forged between the piston and head led me down another path...

Comment

• Originally posted by LoHo View Post
                I have the head off, and took the opportunity to replace the valve seals. When I get a weekend not dedicated to something else, I'll put her back together. I had gotten spark, when the loud ticking of the screw being forged between the piston and head led me down another path...
                How are things looking in that cylinder now?
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                X