No sparks = no go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No sparks = no go

Is it normal for the battery voltage to drop down when the engine cranks? Would a bad stator create a crank but no spark condition?
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
    Is it normal for the battery voltage to drop down when the engine cranks? Would a bad stator create a crank but no spark condition?
    Don't think a stator would cause that cause that us part if the charging system so in theory you could remove it and be fine.

How low does the voltage drop? If you drop below 10.5 the tci can't do its job. Could be bad connections/wires from the battery to the starter.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hey LoHo,

Not enough of an electrical guru to talk about the stator part.

Are you sure your battery is in good condition? That would be my first thought. Then I'd look at good connections in your starter circuit. Good clean grounds and such.

HTH
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Normal LoHo.......down to no lower than 10.5v. In a sense that's kinda' a load test for the battery. If fully charged and any drop below 10.5v using a load tester testing this particular size battery @240amp load for 30sec. condems the battery. And if wanting to be anul, load test each cell to determine which cell is bad/shorted. No matter, bad is bad. Meter across the battery while cranking will tell you if battery suspect or just a really dragging shot starter(not normally the case on scoots). Also ballast resister suspect if your year bike applies. Also the notorious broken ignition wires a suspect. Not starting Larry has to be associated with primary ignition, not secondaryignition.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Motoman, I was grasping at straws and was seeking direction, and your answer pointed me in the right direction. I hooked my charger/booster on set to boost and got sparks. I had jumped it from a known good battery as one of the first tests, but must have had a poor connection.

Now I just hope my other "fixes" haven't screwed anything up.

Comment

By the way, the battery read 12.4V without a load, leading me to think it was still okay. I read somewhere about a "surface charge" that looks like a good battery that will crap out when under load. I guess I've seen that now.

Comment

An iffy battery will cause all sorts of problems. Walmart sells decent batteries for our bikes, $50 a pop.

Ever-start P/N ES50N18LA3
              Dimensions: 8 1/2" X 3 9/16" X 6 3/8"
              Pro rated 6 mo.
              free replacement 1 mo.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

A cheaper battery WILL work fine. Kinda get what you pay for though. Have had the Interstate in my Venturer now for 5 1/2 yrs.........Killed it once and have added distilled water once. This summer before Cali-Rally had it loaded tested as per spec. for that battery and held right at 10.5 volts for the 30sec. load of 230amps. Didn't want any murphy issues goin' on while there riding. So until it builds up more plate setiment and shorts a cell, guess it will keep on for a time.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Glad it was of some help LoHo.........several straws to pick from. Myself, never have checked what starter amp draw would be at normal room temp. anyways.

Comment

jumped it???

Hey LoHo,,,have you tried disconnecting the xs battery and attaching jumper cables from any car to the xs and firing it up?? If it fires up easily and runs decently, its time for a new battery. Hope its that easy of a fix..........Mike in San DIego
                    mike
                    1982 xj1100 maxim
                    1981 venture bagger
                    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                    1959 wife

Comment

Mike, there's a thread on here somewhere about dangers of jumping from a car, although I have done it in a pinch, but was leery of doing so. I think it involved the dangers of starting a car while hooked to the bike. I used a spare car battery, but must have had a poor hook-up, because nothing was solved by it, leading to a thorough search throughout the rest of the electrical system.

I bought the battery in February and it has already crapped out. It is the EverStart from WalMart, as were its two predecessors. I am not sure whether "A battery is a battery" or "You get what you pay for" is most appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
                        I bought the battery in February and it has already crapped out. It is the EverStart from WalMart, as were its two predecessors. I am not sure whether "A battery is a battery" or "You get what you pay for" is most appropriate.
                        Yep, I know the Walmart battery isn't the best. I get at least 2 yrs out of them which isn't too bad. If your charging system isn't up to snuff, you'll wipe out any battery, regardless of price. Hope you get the problem resolved.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Is the on off switch on the handle bars in the on position?

If it is turning over it's probley not the battery.

Comment

LoHo, might clip a meter across battery when it's running and see what what voltage rate is at. At idle, may be at or below 12v. Seems like about 13.5+ at approx. 2000rpm and up to almost 14.5-14.8 cruising rpm best I can remember......least that's close to tell ou if reg. is working correctly. Most scoots I've come across seem to have a higher rate than necessary. Ideal rate in automotive 12v systems IS 13.8-14.2v. Much above overcharges battery somewhat and may explain some of why I have added distilled water to my Venturer's battery once in five years. Also, cutting out and adding a piece of the thin floormat rubber in bottom of battery tray helps aleviate some of those abrupt bumps, plus allows for the battery hold down to hold a bit better.

Comment

The stator just does the charging.

If you don't have spark when turning the engine over it's got to be in the electronic ignition or the kill switch on the bars.

Check the fuses.

Comment

Working...
                              X