No announcement yet.

Picket up 1979 XS1100 Today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To date, I have cleaned 6 sets of carbs for these bikes. They all run the bikes like a swiss watch, and none have been taken off the rack. The only thing you do not get at without pulling the rack, is the Ts. If you spray carb cleaner in there, and run a brush or Q-tip in as well, it cleans those up. It will take several cans of carb cleaner, and you will need some good stiff brushes in several sizes and shapes. As well as the small very stiff wire mentioned, I pull a wire form one of my S/S wire brushes.

If you pull them off the rack, the issue is resealing those fuel Ts. Not cheap parts to buy, and not unlikely they will leak afterward.

As to how to clean them. You can soak them in the berrymans or whatever brand you use, just do not get the butterfly seals in it as stated before. It will ruin them and they are a PITFA to replace.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I went to advanced auto and bought a 1 gal can of carb cleaner it comes with a strainer. It cost $21.95. it works good and I clean about every part in it. I toss them in an let them soak over night and wash them off with dawn at the sink. I do take them apart. Even powder coated 4 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by 62xs View Post
        I went to advanced auto and bought a 1 gal can of carb cleaner it comes with a strainer. It cost $21.95. it works good and I clean about every part in it. I toss them in an let them soak over night and wash them off with dawn at the sink. I do take them apart. Even powder coated 4 of them.
        That's the stuff you DO NOT want to soak the whole carb bodies in. If you did, the butterfly seals are toast.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by 62xs View Post
          Yup butterfly shaft seal WILL get eaten up with that stuff. Yes it works great, but it will mess the seal up. The seals might not leak right away nut you will seriously shorten the life of the seals.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

And those seals are a serious PAIN to remove and reinstall.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
            X