No announcement yet.

Just got 2 XS1100s. New to the Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a bargain to me to get two bikes for that price. I like that particular model too.

Having just about completed a restoration on my bike, I can recommend this forum so much. It really is a great source of information and tips and it's well worth reading through old posts etc to pick up tips and learn by other people's experiences (and mistakes). I found the info makes fault diagnosis so much simpler and have been pleased to contribute a lttle bit towards the fund of information.

Seeing your two bikes has spurred me on to try and get hold of another one myself. There's only so much polishing I can do and we have three months of winter left here.

Have fun with those bikes and I do hope you'll let everyone know how you're getting on and post some pix....
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I guess one of the coolest things about the xs1100's ( besides being a great ride & look) is that it's so easy to own more than one.

I've loved these bikes since they came out.

Good luck with your 2. You might decide they're both worth doing. I bought my 2nd for parts & couldn't do it.. Happy ever since.

Also, EBAY loaded with parts. just shop & bid well. Tom
      Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
      stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Looks like you did what I did...ended up with one standard and one special...both look to be in pretty good shape. Just keep in mind the differences when ordering petcock parts. And Welcome!
        http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1278/...01bfdb21_b.jpg
        1978 XS11 Standard -- For Sale or Trade
        4 into 1 (brand?)
        Special Tank (really sucks for size)
        Special Side covers
        Winjammer 5 fairing with Vetter Hard cases

1979 XS11 Special (has a new home elsewhere)

1982 Yamaha XV920J Virago - My new daily rider.
        National Cycle Plexi-3
        Saddleman double bucket seat
        custom paint

Comment

Ok cool!
          Thanks for the part guy info. Hes got some pretty basic stuff thats all necessary for my rebuild.
          Now I'm not %100 sure that all the parts I'm going to rebuild on this bike are all stock for the bike. I know the engine was swapped the same engine, but who knows if the carbs are stock!
          Any distinguishing features or stamped serial numbers on the carb that will help me determine which parts to buy for the rebuild kit?
          Even just the jet sizes for a stock 1100 would be helpful
          -Chris
          1980 XS1100- Runnin! But not well.. YET! Pods, Mac 4-2 exhaust, Backrest, Hard Case Saddlebags. Obnoxiously big Cruiser For now
          2001 Kawasaki Ninja EX500 11k Runnin just fine
          (Girlfriends Toy)
          "Maxine" Gold and Green
          '85 Yamaha Maxim XJ700 18k miles. Runnin like a champ

Originally posted by bill
          You're having way too much fun Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SLKid View Post
            Ok cool!
            Thanks for the part guy info. Hes got some pretty basic stuff thats all necessary for my rebuild.
            Now I'm not %100 sure that all the parts I'm going to rebuild on this bike are all stock for the bike. I know the engine was swapped the same engine, but who knows if the carbs are stock!
            Any distinguishing features or stamped serial numbers on the carb that will help me determine which parts to buy for the rebuild kit?
            Even just the jet sizes for a stock 1100 would be helpful
            -Chris
            The carbs are pretty distinctive, and you should be able to tell if they are stock just by looking at them (or at least most folks here could). Compare them to any pictures you see, or the parts diagram to be sure. There are basically 2 different types of carbs for the XS11 - one for the early years ('78-'79) and one for the later years ('80-'81), with slight variations here and there. Easy to tell which is which by the idle mixture screw - the early years had a thumb screw on the top, and the later years were capped off to prevent fiddling with them by the owner (good ole' EPA regulations). This ebay item is a later-model setup, and this one is an early-model setup (notice the difference in the idle adjustment screw location too).

As for parts, just contact georgefix. He'll get you exactly what you need without you telling him jet sizes. The manual will also tell you all the jetting info. If you don't have one yet, you can download one from the link in my signature.
            Last edited by CatatonicBug; 12-14-2010, 10:51 AM.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
            X