Ultrasounding carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultrasounding carbs

What's the benefit to ultrasounding carbs that are clean on the outside.

Is there any benefit that ultrasounding will do to the lines inside the carb that can't be dealt with by carb spray & an air gun?

Thanks
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

The USC will vibrate loose crud that sometimes spray and air won't remove. This is if you have a good USC, the Harbor Freight ones aren't worth a dam, JMHO.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The ultrasound causes cavitation in the liquid which helps to clean out the passages by the little bubbles knocking around.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        The USC will vibrate loose crud that sometimes spray and air won't remove. This is if you have a good USC, the Harbor Freight ones aren't worth a dam, JMHO.
        I've got a HF unit, and while it isn't the best I've ever seen, I think it's adequate (that old 'you get what you pay for' thing..). I have noticed that the more parts you load in it, the less effective it seems to be. One thing the USCs have over conventional cleaning methods is you can use cleaners that aren't harmful to rubber products in them and they still work fairly decently. Really crusty parts I'll pre-clean in solvent (paint thinner) before running them in the USC. The biggest problem with the HF unit is it's rather small tub size.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Running RXP through the fuel system a few times a year and there isn't any crud to clean, cheap insurance IMO.

http://rxp.com/master.htm

Comment

While doing some research on the subject I read that, while not a 100% definitive test, a decent USC should physically deteriorate a piece of aluminum foil. I know the one I use will. I put my hand in it ONCE to see how powerful cavitation could really be. Needless to say, it hurts pretty bad.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
              While doing some research on the subject I read that, while not a 100% definitive test, a decent USC should physically deteriorate a piece of aluminum foil. I know the one I use will. I put my hand in it ONCE to see how powerful cavitation could really be. Needless to say, it hurts pretty bad.
              I am going to try that with my Harbor Fake USC with the aluminum foil, not the hand.

Hmmm, maybe try a little chlorine in there...
              Last edited by bikerphil; 12-08-2010, 10:21 PM.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

81xsproject

I had a pretty high powered sonic cleaner until it was lent and got burnt up.
                Anyway I ran my hand in to pick out a part and it stung every joint in my hand that had arthritis!
                I sure remembered where those beat up fingers were!

I ran the SF carbs through that thing I thought they were pretty clean. Was I ever wrong. There was crud running out of every hole in the carb body. The bottom of the tank looked like I cleaned a pair of boots. Thats an exaggeration but it sure got junk out of there that I would have bet wasn't there.

Worth having if you can afford a better one.
                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Interesting video of ultrasonic cleaning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhMKF...layer_embedded
                  1995 KZ100P
                  Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                  Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Working...
                  X