Harbor Freight O-Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight O-Rings

Do any of you guys know if the harbor Freight o-rings, the kit that comes with the red backing, are gas proof? Has anybody had any problems with these? would like to use them in a set of carbs.

O-rings can be made from lots of stuff, but the Viton ones are fine for fuel. I'm sure others are fine too, but since the needle valves are viton-tipped...
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I'd be a bit hesitant to use the HF ones, as HF quality can be pretty uneven. I think I'd try the autoparts store or a hydraulic supplier first...

But they may be fine; if you go for it, let us know...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I have never had a problem with either the rubber or the viton o-rings from hf. Granted what I have used them for none of the o-ring (expensive or cheap) lasted long just due to the amount of friction wear on the parts. But the hf one lasted pretty much the same as the expensive ones.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I'm not sure if they will be the right size. You need metric o-rings and they are not easy to find in small quantities. Check out cycleorings.com for carb o-rings. He's a suzuki guy but the BS32 carbs take the same rings between the makes. I have bought from him twice and he's a stand up dude.
          US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
          1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
          1985 Super Glide
          2012 Super Glide

Comment

Hf has metric and standard sets.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I have a metric set I was hoping to hear from someone who has actually used them in their fuel system

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                I have never had a problem with either the rubber or the viton o-rings from hf. Granted what I have used them for none of the o-ring (expensive or cheap) lasted long just due to the amount of friction wear on the parts. But the hf one lasted pretty much the same as the expensive ones.
                I too have had good luck with both the nitrile and viton o-rings from HF. I don't know what goes into viton, but even at HF they are relatively spendy.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

In the absence of viton, nitrile performs just as well in my experience.
                  1980G Standard, Restored
                  Kerker 4 - 1
                  850 Rear End Mod
                  2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                  Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                  Automatic CCT
                  1980GH Special, Restored
                  Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                  '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                  Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Does anyone have the URL for these O rings?

Thanks,

Aches n Pains
                    1995 KZ100P
                    Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                    Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

The ones we are talking about are from here http://www.harborfreight.com/ just search for o rings.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by boediddly View Post
                        I have a metric set I was hoping to hear from someone who has actually used them in their fuel system
                        I use them primarily to replace the o-rings in the float valve seats of 80s carbs. In my observations of dozens of carb sets, the seats on the 80's don't wear. So, it saves my customers a little money just replacing the valve needle and the seat o-ring. However, I have also used them on leaking fuel inlet t's.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                          I'd be a bit hesitant to use the HF ones, as HF quality can be pretty uneven. I think I'd try the autoparts store or a hydraulic supplier first...

But they may be fine; if you go for it, let us know...
                          The autoparts stores around here actually USE the HF kits.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

O'ring 101 here.... http://www.allorings.com/material_selection.htm and here ..... http://www.marcorubber.com/materialguide.htm
                            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
                            X