No announcement yet.

fixed electrical items, new gremlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, just one of those things to keep in mind.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

LED questions

Hi everyone. about these LED's. Have heard that they really cut down on power draw when installed. 1. Is this true? 2. Where can they be purchased? have tried to find at local a-zone,etc. Are these dealer itmes only? Does anyone know anywhere they can be purchased or ordered like NAPA,etc? the ones i find at auto shops are push in type with wrong bottom setup. can't find ones,say like the bottom setup on an 1156-7, or do I have to change the plugins with something else. Thanks
      1980 xs1100g

Comment

Originally posted by dschmitta View Post
        Hi everyone. about these LED's. Have heard that they really cut down on power draw when installed. 1. Is this true? 2. Where can they be purchased? have tried to find at local a-zone,etc. Are these dealer itmes only? Does anyone know anywhere they can be purchased or ordered like NAPA,etc? the ones i find at auto shops are push in type with wrong bottom setup. can't find ones,say like the bottom setup on an 1156-7, or do I have to change the plugins with something else. Thanks
        Absolutly they cut down significantly on the current draw. You figure a 1156 bulb is about 24 watts per bulb which would draw 2 amps when the bulb is on. then the 1157 is a little higher in draw. So if you had the brakes on with your turn signal flashing, headlight on your looking at a draw of at least 12 amps and thats not including the lights in the gauge cluster and the ignition system. You only have a max of 24 amps on a XS and 26 on an XJ, so that is why the lights all get dim when your at a stop and not putting out anything from the alternator.

Whereas a LED bulb might only draw .25 of an amp. If you change out all the bulbs in the gauge cluster, the brake/tail, and the turn signals you will save HUGE on the current draw.

if you want to try and figure it all out to get your amp draw per bulb use this formula

Watts/volts=amps

You can get LED bulbs from, pretty reasonably priced.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I got mine at Autozone. Very small selection, but they had them. None of the other automotive stores around here had anything like it though. You can also get them from superbrightleds.com. The ones they sell are probably better quality than the ones at Autozone too. Just remember that if you switch to LEDs for turn signals, you lose the auto-cancel feature, and you'll probably have to replace your flasher relay. Make sure you get 1157 bulbs for anything that requires 2 brightnesses (tail/brake lights, or running lights/turn signals). 1156 bulbs for anything with only one use. Also, superbrightleds.com sells 90º bulbs that work for the signal housings, where the straight ones I found at Autozone would not work for that application.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

thanks everyone. finally found one problem with no tail lights. had quick connect that was broken,open and just plugged with garbage. I fixed that and now at least have rear running lights. now i'm gonna swap for LED's and figure out a way to cover that open area under the brake light housing. That really bothers me! They definately should have made a plate or something to cover that. Well, enough whining. Thanks for all your help everyone. Much appreciated.
            1980 xs1100g

Comment

thanks everyone. finally found one problem with no tail lights. had quick connect that was broken,open and just plugged with garbage. I fixed that and now at least have rear running lights. now i'm gonna swap for LED's and figure out a way to cover that open area under the brake light housing. That really bothers me! They definately should have made a plate or something to cover that. Well, enough whining. Thanks for all your help everyone. Much appreciated.
              I would just fill each connector with dielectric grease plug them back together and call it good. for the most part it lasted 30 years that way!
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I took a black plastic mud flap and cut a piece the proper size to fit into that space under the Standard tail light. Stuffed it in there 8 yrs ago and it's still in there.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. You are right though Natemoen, it did last thirty years. Tell ya what, it seems like they knew what they were doing when they put this baby together. Anyone know where I can pick up a spanner wrench for the rear shocks. Can't find one on ebay, and they don't seem to make them anymore. If not, any good way to get that baby turned without beating up the bike? Thanks for all of your help everyone.

P.S. Happy holidays to everyone. Enjoy!
                  1980 xs1100g

Comment

Anyone know where I can pick up a spanner wrench for the rear shocks.
                    MikesXS Part #35-5033

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-18.html#products

If you have factory shocks, this tool won't work, it's for aftermarket shocks. A Phillips screwdriver in the adjustment slot works on the factory shocks. I've also used a pipe wrench to turn the preload adjuster.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                      MikesXS Part #35-5033

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-18.html#products

If you have factory shocks, this tool won't work, it's for aftermarket shocks. A Phillips screwdriver in the adjustment slot works on the factory shocks. I've also used a pipe wrench to turn the preload adjuster.
                      Thanks for the info. Dave
                      1980 xs1100g

Comment

Working...
                      X