Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixed electrical items, new gremlin

Hey everyone,

had charging prob on '80 xs1100g. fixed stator wires, now charging. After that, had prob with turn signals, replaced with electronic two prong aftermarket. Now, the right side blinker seems to blink alot slower than the left, rear rt side bulb isn't as bright, and noticed at night, I can slightly see the right side signal indicator on the dash, It is ver slight, but still visible. Any ideas appreciated
    1980 xs1100g

I am about as electrically challenged as they come, but I think I would take a hard look at the grounds on the signal lights. I have also had issues with the signal light control on the bars which in my case I changed rather than fix it. That may also be a place to look for problems. JAT
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Yeah, I agree. It's going to most likely be a poor ground or rotting wire connectors.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I had a similar problem. Rust had built up enough in the switch to allow a little current all the time (ghost signal) but not enough for full illumination. Check the switch.
        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

thanks, will check and let everyone know
          1980 xs1100g

Comment

must be bad connector

hey everyone,

On my '80g, I have the one piece bar that both signals are attached to. took apart lenses and as soon as i saw the rt side bulb holder, i noticed lots of rust. removed bulb and inside of bulb holder was also rusty. cleaned thoroughly with emory cloth and connection spray cleaner. while i was back there, i figured to clean the brake light connections. so i did that, put everything back together and turn signals were both bright,strong and working perfectly. But, didn't have any brake light. soooo, took back apart, had forgot to plug in connectors for both bulbs. Duh! Did that, worked wires back under plate and reconnected. checked, brake lights bright, now I have neither rear signals? I think there has to be a short or bad connector where they are BOTH coming together and going through fender? Does anyone think that sounds possible? the front both worked fine while the back were dark. Thanks fo any help

P>S> Seems like a strange setup back there. the only thing covering the wiring box where they fit into, is basically the license plate??? Am I missing a cover plate or is that the set up. Seemed like alot of dirt and grime in the wiring(which I cleaned), but seemed really open up under the plate where wires are. When i loosend the plate, the light bar about fell out. Thanks for helping
            1980 xs1100g

Comment

Nope, sounds like everything is tjere, that's just how its set up.

Are any of the bullet connectors loose? Is the little.tab that the grounds comment to still tightly welded to the metal? If you haven't already get a tube of dielectric grease and dill all those connectors up with it to protect them from water and dirt.

Could be a broken wire under the fender. The rubber grommets have disintegrated and may have rubbed through a wire, I would think you would blow a fuse if that were the case though.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Will check the bullett connectors. Would it be smart or stupid to try to maybe jiggle, not yank wires, while bike is juiced to maybe find problem wire easier? I always take off the battery ground, but hard to tell without juice. I do have test light, but honestly not used to using it properly. Do wires have to be disconnected? I know, sounds stupid, but trying to be honest. Thanks
                1980 xs1100g

Comment

You would be fine having the battery connected and the key on. Worst that would happen is blow a fuse.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                    You would be fine having the battery connected and the key on. Worst that would happen is blow a fuse.

Thanks, makes things easier than taking apart, putting togeter again and again
                    1980 xs1100g

Comment

I am currently going through the rear signals and converting to "daytime running lights/brake lights, turn signals). I installed new "front" three-wire turn signals on the back and changed the lens to red for legal purposes. Supposedly, you have to change from amber lenses to red if using for brake, turn signal lights???

Changed all speedo/tach lighting to LED's, wow, what a change and so much brighter. It's nice to have the entire clutster lights work like they are supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                        Supposedly, you have to change from amber lenses to red if using for brake, turn signal lights???
                        Yup, law says only red (and white for reverse purposes) lights can facing the rear and only amber (and white for headlights) can face the front and sides. all other colors and directions are reserved for emergency vehicles. Will you get stopped for it, maybe, maybe not, depends on the cop, depends on the day, depends on if they have anything better to do at the moment...
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                          Yup, law says only red (and white for reverse purposes) lights can facing the rear and only amber (and white for headlights) can face the front and sides...
                          You can have amber in the rear, but at least in the US it's limited to turn signals only which explains the rear turn-only lights.

Any sort of tail/brake light must be red. I'll also note for those who change the OEM tallight for something different that you're also required to have a red reflector at the rear (visible for 300 feet). This reflector is built into the stock taillight lens, but rarely is on aftermarket custom units. Generally not a problem as few LEOs enforce this, but if you run into a a$$hole this is something he could nick you for...
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I guess I didn't qualify my statement with continuously lit lights, sorry. Of course you can have amber turns cause that's what is there now.

Another thing to think about is that those little laws like the reflectors or in your cages having something hanging from your rear view mirror etc, is that it gives LEOs a reason to pull you over if they can't find a better one. Like if your leaving a bar late at night....

A lot of guys I have worked with pull everyone over they see with something hanging from their mirror. They get A LOT of drug traffickers doing that, but they never give a ticket for it just a verbal warning.

Just something to think about.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The only reason I brought up the reflector thing is I know a guy who got pulled over and ticketed while riding with two other riders because one of them had a 'blue dot' on his taillight (illegal most places). The blue dot guy got a bit lippy and pissed off the LEO so he hunted for things on the other two bikes. This guy had removed his reflector (this was a Sportster, which has the reflector as a separate part from the taillight lens) to put on a chrome plate frame; his bike was otherwise completely stock.

The ticket was $107.....
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X