No announcement yet.

new member new bike need some tech help/ advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just gotta ask, why go through all the hassle of this instead of just buying a newer bike that comes with what you want? Especially with the "lots of time and no money" thing. It's going to take time and money to change over to efi on it, just ask the guys that have done it already.

Either way, I think you need to pm someone who has done this and get some details from them.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Well i do have a newer bike its a project though thats the fun of it
      bikes:
      99 tl1000
      96 honda 250 nighthawk
      77 xs750 special
      suzuki 350

current project:
      1979 xs 11 special

Comment

Ok, just askin. Just wondering.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Np man i am kinda new to bikes as far as projects go thats y i ank so many q's expecialy when noone has done it yet
          bikes:
          99 tl1000
          96 honda 250 nighthawk
          77 xs750 special
          suzuki 350

current project:
          1979 xs 11 special

Comment

Sometimes it easier to know goals/end desire when giving advice. And like I stated earlier on in the thread there are several people that have done the efi conversion. If you find a post by 81xsproject there is a link in his signature line to the thread following his process of converting his xs to efi.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yep but im tryin to go a step further and hav cop
              bikes:
              99 tl1000
              96 honda 250 nighthawk
              77 xs750 special
              suzuki 350

current project:
              1979 xs 11 special

Comment

Originally posted by proddy2008 View Post
                Yep but im tryin to go a step further and hav cop
                Trying to what? The guys who have done the mod have switched to both EFI and electronically controlled ignition as well.

As for the wasted spark thing, most systems other than V8's have gone to wasted spark. It requires fewer coils for the number of cylinders, and nothing is really "wasted" it's just that one of the sparks is firing on the exhaust stroke while the paired cylinder is firing on the compression stroke. As I understand it, wasted spark or not is determined by engine and crank design. To accomplish what your outlining, would likely require 1.5 - 2 times the cost of the conversions already done, and would require more parts and complexity to that can fail. As it is, I'm not sure you could fit 4 coils under the tank anyways. Current conversion have been in the $1000 range cost wise, and as I understand it, that is based on doing it as cheaply as it could be done, you may be talking about $2000 by the time you get done, and you will have added at least one additional place for oil to leak as well, plus have added an ugly wart to the side of the head as well.

Most EFI systems try to make things as simple as they can get, thus the move to wasted spark, since you have to cylinders that fire 180 from each other, you only need to worry about 2 timing events per rotation, and they each cause a cylinder to fire on an opposite rotation.

It would be really easy if it was not perfect to cause additional vibration by having the timing events for the pair cylinders not precisely in sync with each other.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Coil on plug like an ls engine the ls2 coils are some of the best out there you just need crank and cam sensors to run cop im going to try to find A zshop in houston to extend the cam out and tap holes for a ls1 cam gear to get signal it won't be to big of a problem as far as oil leaking I just have to get the right measurements for a seal my goal is to have fun building the bike and doing it egvsactly the way I want it btw cop is a big improvement over wasted spark at higher rpm because the coils have more time to saturate and cool down not to mention using ls2 coils gives a LOT more spark energy also if they do fail their only 22 bucks each so np
                  bikes:
                  99 tl1000
                  96 honda 250 nighthawk
                  77 xs750 special
                  suzuki 350

current project:
                  1979 xs 11 special

Comment

I think the idea is cool but it might be wasted on these engines as without some custom head work (specifically on the valve springs) your not likely to get much if any higher than stock redline naturally aspirated. The problem is that the valves are going to float on you, and IIRC it was determined by someone pretty knowledgeable on here that just stiffer springs wouldn't fix that, but that they needed redesigned springs.

I wouldn't thing that wasted spark would lose anything by 8500-9000 on a 4 cylinder anyways. Of course cop would certainly get rid of any problems with plug wires (my 98 passport had cop and I admit I did like it). Don't get me wrong, it does sound like a cool idea, but with you saying you have more time than money, this may take multiple years to accomplish see as there would be considerable fabrication work needed.

Something else to consider, if you put something on the end of the cam, you might end up with it interfering with your leg there, these things are pretty wide. Not sure how else you could get where your trying to go though. I know that others have done EFI and even used GM stuff with the MS setup, but they didn't do cop but stuck with the wasted spark system. I'm wondering too how the fuel pump your thinking of compares to the busa pump on current draw, as these things don't have much to spare (although going to all LED lights and HID headlamp may give you enough breathing room).
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

thx for your time posting its about to be the oposite though lots of money no time cuz I'm geting. Deployed lol true wasted spark probably won't loose anything but it won't have 120 mv even at low rpm
                      bikes:
                      99 tl1000
                      96 honda 250 nighthawk
                      77 xs750 special
                      suzuki 350

current project:
                      1979 xs 11 special

Comment

Finaly off work now as far as interfeiring with my footing the cam gear from an ls1 is only a coouple of inches diameter also I'm going with the cafe racer theme so my feet won't be around there I haven't realy looked at the draw of diferent current draws of fuel pumps just psi and gpm ratings lol
                        bikes:
                        99 tl1000
                        96 honda 250 nighthawk
                        77 xs750 special
                        suzuki 350

current project:
                        1979 xs 11 special

Comment

You only have 24 amps total to work with if everything is working properly and in tip top shape and most of that is already used up by ignition and lighting as it is.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Holy **** thats not much im not used to working with less than 90 minimum let me do some research now on current draw of different components im gessing no altenator upgrade available"
                            bikes:
                            99 tl1000
                            96 honda 250 nighthawk
                            77 xs750 special
                            suzuki 350

current project:
                            1979 xs 11 special

Comment

Well if you use the XJ alt then you can get 26 amps....other than that no.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Dam well it will be tight the coils draw 10 amps for 8 of em so 5 amps for 4 just gotta find out head/ taillights and blinkers and horn... anything im forgeting? Oh yeah the ms and fuel pump
                                bikes:
                                99 tl1000
                                96 honda 250 nighthawk
                                77 xs750 special
                                suzuki 350

current project:
                                1979 xs 11 special

Comment

Working...
                                X