XJ11 idle adjustment knob in a bad location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ11 idle adjustment knob in a bad location

Man, what a hassle getting to the idle adjustment knob on the XJ11. On the XJ650 with Hitachi carbs, the adjustment is behind the carbs where you can get to it easily with no effort. On the XJ11 it's in front of the carbs right where it's in a tight space and you have to brush against the lower fins & be compressed by the carbs. I have to wear gloves to contact that knob. No way to do it without gloves, I'll get burns on my hands

Is there a trick to accessing it?
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

99% of the time that is set when the sync is done and the tank is off. After that for a minor adjustment a long tool or stick will serve to move it a little.

Its not something that requires a lot of fiddling with.
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

i havent got the xj,
      but have heard of members using a screwdriver
      to get into the idle adj knob.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I've got a cut cable from a speedometer attached to the main idle knob, so the new knob is by the right sidecover. It makes a 90 degree bend. It nice to be able to adjust it anytime in one second.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          I've got a cut cable from a speedometer attached to the main idle knob, so the new knob is by the right sidecover. It makes a 90 degree bend. It nice to be able to adjust it anytime in one second.
          What a clever idea! I may have to make something like that as I burn the **** out of my hands doing the adjustments too.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Indeed. How about a pic showing how you attached it to the idle screw?
            Richard

Comment

I use a leather glove when I adjust the idle.

David
              1981 XS1100 Special
              Previous Bikes
              1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
              1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
              1982 Honda CB900c
              1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
              1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

I don't have a pic at the moment, but it's pretty simple. When you have the carbs on the bench, drill a hole slightly larger than the cable in the center of the adjusting knob (78-79 carbs) about 1/4" deep. Put some JB weld in the hole and insert the cable, letting it dry overnite. Cut the cable to the right length and attach a knob of your choice at the end. It needs a hold down on the cable behind the knob. I'll snap some pictures later. Sorry, I don't have a mod for the later carbs with the ajustment screw down below in front.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

I don't have a pic at the moment, but it's pretty simple. When you have the carbs on the bench, drill a hole slightly larger than the cable in the center of the adjusting knob (78-79 carbs) about 1/4" deep. Put some JB weld in the hole and insert the cable, letting it dry overnite. Cut the cable to the right length and attach a knob of your choice at the end. It needs a hold down on the cable behind the knob. I'll snap some pictures later. Sorry, I don't have a mod for the later carbs with the ajustment screw down below in front.
                  Still, this is an idea worth considering.

Most cool.

Other solutions anyone?
                  82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

I use an old potholder placed on the engine, then I can get my bare hand in there to adjust it.

Larry
                    Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                    82 XJ1100
                    80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                    64 Yamaha YA-6
                    77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                    See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
                      Indeed. How about a pic showing how you attached it to the idle screw?
                      Ok, here's the pic, sorry it took so long, only 7 months.

2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Very clever!

Comment

We've had to do LOADS of adjusting of the idle screw since (we realize now) the bike needed a valve adjustment. Every time we just have a long sleeve shirt/jacket and full finger gloves. Can reach in there. Karla does it better than I do, but we both have small hands (hell I'm all of 5'8").
                          Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
                          Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Comment

Hello Phil

I would like to make do this to my xs1100 carbs. Could you please tell me where i might be able to find the knob and the hold down bracket you used? Thanks

Jared

1979 xs1100f
                            New Fuse Box
                            Progressive Shocks
                            Gold Valve Emulator
                            Dyna Coils
                            Electronic Flasher
                            Led Headlight
                            Led Turn Signals
                            4 Led Driving Lights
                            2nd Gear Fix
                            Auto Cam Tensioner
                            Digital Dash
                            Stainless Braided Lines
                            R6 4 Piston Calipers
                            Stainless Bolt Kit
                            Maier Fairing
                            Dyna Balancing Beads
                            Spin On Oil Filter
                            Stebel Nautilus Horn
                            Plasti Dip Rims
                            ISO Grips

Comment

That knob came from the HELP section of the auto parts store and the hold down is just a 1/4" cable clamp from Home Depot. GL with your mod.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

Comment

Working...
                              X