Hitting full throttle with one twist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting full throttle with one twist.

I am wondering if any of you have this same problem, and what the cure is. I cannot get full throttle in one wrist movement. I have to move my hand on around the grip to get to full throttle. Is there a quick throttle set up for these, or some kind of an adjustment to quicken the throttle? The cable is taught to the carbs at this time.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

I've never been able to open to full throttle with one twist. I don't think the human wrist is capable of it actually! As far as I'm aware, the cable shouldn't actually be taut. Just the slack removed from it. If the cable is too taut, you'll be bypassing the throttle stop screw......
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Yeah, that's pretty much the way it's supposed to be. Maybe if you reach around the front so your wrist is vertical, it might work, but 0-100% is about 1/4 turn, and that's 90ยบ worth of twisting, a bit more than most wrists are happy with. Not sure why you'd need to go to WOT right off the line though...
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Off the line you could reach around to start with and pull it to WOT, but I truly do not recall very often using WOT. If your a real acceleration and adrenaline junky you might though. I will say that a well tuned XS11 at WOT once you hit 4-5k is a split second to shifting gears.

But to answer your question, I know of no adjustment or modification to change the amount of rotation needed to get to WOT.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I would look at the cable where it clamps to the throttle. If the piece that the screw goes thru breaks off from the cable assy it will mess greatly with the throttle resulting in more twist needed. In answer to the original question in normal driving up to highway speed I don't have to readjust my grip.
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

I dont like that either. You have to really reach forward to do it and that takes alot of fun out of it.
            Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

I guess that i should have explained further. When i am cruising, and i want to pass, or just crank on it, i would like to just open the throttle to WOT sometimes. I wouldn't do it from the start. At this point if i am cruising and hit it, i have to grab it twice. Maybe i am sort of a speed freak sometimes. They used to make quick throttles for dirt bikes back in the day.
              1980 XS1100LG Midnight
              1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
              A quick death and an easy one.
              A pretty girl and an honest one.
              A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Ahhh...got you Newbie. I will say that in my experiences, it has never taken much throttle movement to go from 65-70 MPH cruising beside traffic to go to 90 MPH and passing them all with ease. That is one of my favorite features of this bike, I can see myself entering the blind spot of a car I am approaching, and with almost just the thought, my wrist moves and I am past there drivers side window before I blink it seems. So if you need more than that...well...."Oh Blessed Mother of Acceleration, Don't Fail Me NOW!!!" Must be your mantra!!
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                  - - - if i am cruising and hit it, i have to grab it twice. Maybe i am sort of a speed freak sometimes. They used to make quick throttles for dirt bikes back in the day.
                  Hi newbie,
                  most likely they still do. Thing is, the large drum diameter twistgrip sleeve won't fit inside the stock bar clamp that has the killswitch etc. built into it so you'll need to use the complete twistgrip and make other arrangements for the killswitch and starter button.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    I will say that in my experiences, it has never taken much throttle movement to go from 65-70 MPH cruising beside traffic to go to 90 MPH and passing them all with ease. That is one of my favorite features of this bike, I can see myself entering the blind spot of a car I am approaching, and with almost just the thought, my wrist moves and I am past there drivers side window before I blink
                    This is the very reason i love the XS, its roll on power,

Although you might like paying the local plod money for xsessive speed,

I am an acceleration junkie, to get full throttle with one twist can be done, depending upon where you grip the throttle in the first place, then its a matter of just dropping you ebow down, as you kiss the clocks with your chin to deduce drag, lay on the tank, hold on to the beast, keeping it in the 5 -8k rev range in all gears
                    But! hope you dont encounter any shimmy past 130mph!
                    Still, you must remember your stallon is 30+ , dont xspect it to play nice when you thrash it.
                    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC00009.jpg
                    1980 XS1100 Std English Assembled, 378k miles
                    In stock untouched contion.
                    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/seatside.jpg
                    1979 XS1100F Std NZ new,
                    Mikes XS coils
                    Jardine 4-1
                    Pod filters
                    Harley Davidson Rear Fender
                    Bullet signal lights
                    Twin 75mm headlights
                    Self made single seat

Comment

thats something else ive noticed with the keihin carbs,
                      u dont need to twist the throttle as much as u do with the
                      mikunis to get to wot.
                      pete

new owner of
                      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                      zrx carbs
                      18mm float height
                      145 main jets
                      38 pilots
                      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I had the same problem when I first got the bike. You can loosen the 2 screws on the bottom of the throttle assembly and rotate it back a little. The po had mine to far the other way so I actually had to drop my shoulder along with the wrist to even go to 3/4 throttle. I also noted it was much harder to twist than the other 8 or 9 bikes I had owned.
                        If you order a new cable from dennis kirk it turns super easy. But like someone said previously the little tab can break. I had daytona bars at the time I bought the cable and it put the tab off a little and made it break off. It was a pain after that until I got my zrx carbs running. It does go to wot much easier. Oh and the cables are like 12 bucks or so.
                        " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                        xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                        8mm msd wires
                        tkat fork brace...
                        Fox shocks...
                        mikes650 front fender
                        led's gallore...
                        renthal bars
                        gold valve emulators
                        vmax tensioner
                        Rifle fairing

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                          I am wondering if any of you have this same problem, and what the cure is. I cannot get full throttle in one wrist movement. I have to move my hand on around the grip to get to full throttle. Is there a quick throttle set up for these, or some kind of an adjustment to quicken the throttle? The cable is taught to the carbs at this time.
                          Hmmm, have never had to twist the grip to to its end to get full throttle? I have about 1 degree of free play at the start and can reach red line pretty comfortably within normal wrist movement.
                          Rob
                          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

There is a way to increase the 'quickness' of the throttle; mod the cable connection/throttle arm at the carb. Shorten the arm, reduce the amount of cable travel. This will increase effort and put additional strain on the cable though...
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hitting Full Throttle

Newbie,

I came across this on another forum. Check it out:
                              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...t=throttle+mod

Hope this is helpful.
                              LuckyEddie
                              1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
                              1982 XV750J Virago
                              1976 GL1000
                              1978 GL1000 Supercharged
                              1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

Working...
                              X