Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle

At what rpm should I set the idle on my 1100. Right now I have it set at about 1100-1200 rpms. Thanks:Rick
    1980 XS 1100 replaced the seat and sissy bar from a XS 1100 standard and changed the handle bars. Did not like the original bars at all.No mod at all except for a four into one header.

Kind of depends on your model (which you do not state). But 1100 or so should suffice for most all of them. If you are setting it by the tach on the bike you are only in the ballpark anyway since it is not accurate enough to set anything. So if it idles smooth and sounds OK to you, it probably is.
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by rickybeaver View Post
      At what rpm should I set the idle on my 1100. Right now I have it set at about 1100-1200 rpms. Thanks:Rick
      Hi Ricky,
      FWIW, if my bike idle speed is set at more than 1,000 rpm it crunches real loud going from neutral into first.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

That is NOT a crunch, Fred. That is NOT a hammer like thud of metal on metal when the tranny crashes into first.

That is the sweet ping of the adrenaline valve cracking open.

Patrick
        The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
        1969 Yamaha DT1B
        Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

I think Dbearslee put it best....it is the YAGES...Yamaha Audible Gear Engagement System.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Working...
          X