Where to buy new seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy new seat

Does anybody know where I can find a new seat for a '79 xs1100?
    I would really like one with a backrest/sissy bar for my wife. Also,
    does anyone know which models can cross reference for parts and
    accesories?

ebay, motorcycle junkyards... cant buy new anymore

you can always check the parts for sale section of the forum and post a wanted add in the parts wanted section.

Also you can get a separate backrest piece if you want instead of the integrated seat/backrest.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

As Nate stated, if you get REALLY lucky, you might find someone with a New Old Stock (NOS) seat laying around, but the asking price is bound to be more than you paid for the bike!!

As to the seat, 79 had both Standard and Special models. And the seats were different for each. Only the Special model came with an integrated backrest in the seat. That was the REALLY high back seat. Again, tough to find in decent shape.

Depending on what part or accessory your after, determines what year and model with work with it. Some parts are very year and model specific, some more just model specific, and some work across the board. As to seats, well, that was one of the least compatible parts. If it is a 79 special, that was a one year wonder. The Standard model may work for 78 and 79, but I think that changed in the 80s as well.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Is this the kind of seat your looking to get?

http://xs11.46.forumer.com/viewtopic...t=623&start=10

I am pretty sure this seat is from a 79 special but he didnt specify in his add, but he has a 79 special frame for sale as well so 2 + 2 usually = 4.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Pep42 View Post
          accesories?
          Heh heh.... seats. Yep, one of the less available parts for these. It doesn't help that they're notorious for rusting out. One possibility if you have no luck finding anything used is to make your own. If your existing pan is decent, use it as a mold and build a fiberglass seat pan in whatever shape you like, then have it covered. As DG said, the '79 'Special' seat is a one-year-only piece. The 'standard' seat is the same '78-79, but the later seats won't fit unless you relocate the ignition module or bash the seat pan.

Sissy bars are rare for these for some reason, but you can find 'luggage rack/sissy bar' combos a bit easier. The high-back seats do show up from time to time too, so be patient...

To determine what bike you have, look here: http://www.xs11.com/faqs/153-serial-...ry-colors.html. Keep in mind that if the bike has been modified, this may only be semi-helpful...

For checking parts, look here: http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/. Find your bike (or the bike the part came off of if different and/or known), look up the correct 'assembly' (front brakes, headlight, etc), then find the specific part. Click on the part number, and you'll get a list of all the XS models this part was used on. This doesn't always mean you're limited to these parts, as some differences are merely style/color, but will get you in the ballpark.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by Pep42 View Post
            accesories?
            I just bought a brand-new one here in England. £125. They are still made here, brand-new. The quality is absolutely superb; every bit as good as original...identical design to OEM with strap. The seat base is thick glass fibre but you'll need the mounting brackets (on eBay a lot). The seats are quite light and would be easily sent to the US, I'd say.
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
              I just bought a brand-new one here in England. £125. They are still made here, brand-new. The quality is absolutely superb; every bit as good as original...identical design to OEM with strap. The seat base is thick glass fibre but you'll need the mounting brackets (on eBay a lot). The seats are quite light and would be easily sent to the US, I'd say.
              You got a web site or anything for who makes them?
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Here's the seat I bought. It comes without the seat fairing, grab rail etc. You get the seat, ready made. Glass fibre seat pan and new foam. You also get the front mounting lug already on the pan but you'd need the two brackets that bolts it to the bike. I had to modify the plastic 'feet' slightly which are on the seat, in order to get a really solid fit when the seat is bolted on. I used bits of inner tube, glued to the plastic feet to extend them a bit. The seat is secure on the bike, with no movement or flexing of the seat pan. To be honest, I think it's actually a superior seat to the original. The glass fibre is thick and will not rust. The seat is also lighter (I think...) I'm very pleased indeed with mine. The seller ships to the US, I see.

These seats are available on eBay at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorcycle-Com...item27b636571f
                Last edited by James England; 11-02-2010, 02:59 PM.
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                  Dang thats a nice looking seat, got a picture of the bottom of it?
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                    Dang thats a nice looking seat, got a picture of the bottom of it?
                    It's a superb item..... The foam is excellent too... not cheap and squishy....it's pleasantly firm but comfortable...just like a seat should be in my opinion. Really comfy and it springs right back into shape once you get off.... no baggy wrinkles or lines....

If you go to that eBay listing I mentioned in my post, you'll see loads of pictures, including the bottom of the seat. Let me know if you find the listing. If not, I'll post photos here....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorcycle-Com...item27b636571f

Comment

By the way, the strap and piping are stitched, not moulded like on cheap seat covers. Also, unlike on the OEM seat, the seat cover is pop-rivetted (and also glued) to the base and not held by those sharp metal prongs that Yamaha used to push through the cover and fold over. They always rusted and tended to tear the seat cover. I've seen a couple of replacement systems for these prongs but basically, it's more of the same... metal prongs tearing a new cover! Personally I think £125 is very good indeed for what I got...... less than some breakers selling 30 year old rubbish!
                      Last edited by James England; 11-02-2010, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Yeah I saw the pics, sometimes I get a little too excited and start typing before looking at everything.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That is a very nice looking seat.... and at $200 (current exchange rate) plus shipping, not a bad deal. Hmmm....
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                            That is a very nice looking seat.... and at $200 (current exchange rate) plus shipping, not a bad deal. Hmmm....
                            I think you'll find the shipping rate is for here in the UK. It would cost a bit more to the US (unless he is quoting in his listing for the US, is he?). In the pix I posted, my grabrail came from the US! I removed my slightly worn looking one after finding a NOS one on eBay. I've had loads of parts from the US and sent lots of things the other side of the pond too.

If you buy from anyone here in the UK, ask them to use http://www.parcel2go.com/ This company is a freight consolidator...they use empty space on DHL and Fedex. It's much better than the UK mail system. This company will pick the seat up (for example) from the sender's home or business and deliver tracked service to the USA... it's not expensive either. Many people here in the UK don't know about it. I've send at least 75 packages this way....

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                              Yeah I saw the pics, sometimes I get a little too excited and start typing before looking at everything.
                              Exactly what I do....

Comment

Working...
                              X