Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Bike...What have I gotten myself into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you take the gas cap to a locksmith they can probably cut you a new key.
    82 XJ1100
    Regina,Saskatchewan,
    Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

I have a center stand and a used manual. Let me know if you are interested, I'll sell them cheap. Just don't need them since they are spares.
      Jamie

Comment

If by owners manual you are talking about a service manual, click on the link in catatonicbugs signature line. He has some manuals on his website.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I'll not preach (much) on the helmet thing, but having looked at the statistics of where the impacts are in MC accidents, and having had a minor getoff 30 years ago with a 3/4 helmet that cost me 27 stitches in which had I been wearing my full face helmet I would have picked up the bike and gone on, I am VERY much an advocate of a full face or at least modular helmet. Your head is the one thing they can't replace, and your face is the part that is most visible and hardest to hide scaring on. Just my humble opinion, as while believing strongly in helmet use, I also believe strongly in personal choice.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            If by owners manual you are talking about a service manual, click on the link in catatonicbugs signature line. He has some manuals on his website.
            I have the actual Owners Manual too!

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
            I'll not preach (much) on the helmet thing, but having looked at the statistics of where the impacts are in MC accidents, and having had a minor getoff 30 years ago with a 3/4 helmet that cost me 27 stitches in which had I been wearing my full face helmet I would have picked up the bike and gone on, I am VERY much an advocate of a full face or at least modular helmet. Your head is the one thing they can't replace, and your face is the part that is most visible and hardest to hide scaring on. Just my humble opinion, as while believing strongly in helmet use, I also believe strongly in personal choice.
            I agree. If you're gonna downgrade your protection with a new helmet, stick the one you've got!

Here are enough statistics to keep my head in a full-face:

1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Ok so I will get my buddy to paint my helmet tomatch my bike and be on the look out for a cheap new helmet.

Comment

Lots fo folks wear 3/4 helmets. Lots never wreck or never very badly. Me, I took a tough tumble earlier this year. My full face helmet had a deep scratch in the lens right in fornt of my right eye and had scrapes and mud caked all around the face shield. Soooo...

As to the center stand, I think I mentioned I have one of them from the bike I wrecked in the incident mentioned above.

As to the key, you can take the gas tank cap, or just its lock assembly AND the ignition lock assy or just its cylinder with you to the lock smith and have them keyed up alike. While your at it, have take the helmet lock and the side cover lock with you and let them all be keyed alike.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

My helmet lock is broken and I don't think I have the side cover lock either. I have to go check. I took a bunch of pictures but my camera died.

Comment

Keys

Yamaha still makes the keys. Just take the number on the lock to a dealer and they can order them for you. Mine cost me $8.00 for two.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                    Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system
                    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Comment

Comment

hi black01scoobyrs,
                          nice bike,
                          i like the painted blue rims and rotors,
                          whatcha going to do with the engine,
                          paint or polish?
                          pete

new owner of
                          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                          zrx carbs
                          18mm float height
                          145 main jets
                          38 pilots
                          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Nice bike! Definitely what we effectionately refer to as a "Frankenbike" has parts from all different years and styles.

The front end is definitely a standard model, the tank is form a special, the seat looks to be an 80-81 model special. The rear wheel looks to be a 16" from a special. However, the rear plastic cowling behind the seat is definitly Standard model specific. The side stand is not a factory piece, looks like someone added the chrome part to the stock arm as a method of changing its length. If the bike was originally a Standard, they would need to shorten it for the 16" rear wheel. The painted engine jugs look to be 81 model.

Be interesting to see what the first four letters/numbers are of the engine and frame vin codes.

Again, do not take that as ripping on your bike, it looks very nice! Just important info to know when you might start looking for other parts or need help diagnosing something.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Thanks Dig! There is a local bone yard here and the bike came with a lot of receipts for that place. I called the other day and they said they have a couple stripped so I have a feeling one of those must have been a special that is now part of my bike. Petejw I think i'm gonna make sure I get it running before I even think about that paint /polish due to the fact that if I start working on the styling in my head it will end up being the sexiest roller around With that said I am thinking I will leave it blue. Not sure the rims will stay blue though. I do think I'm going to put the Progressive springs in the forks when I replace the seals. My calipers are rusted around the inside edge (apparently prone to rust there). All of the pistons are pitted and rusted (I say all because I have 2 pairs of front calipers. I'm not sure what to do to fix that. BTW can anybody tell me if an xj1100 center stand will fit an xs1100?

Comment

Originally posted by black01scoobyrs View Post
                                ...My calipers are rusted around the inside edge (apparently prone to rust there). All of the pistons are pitted and rusted (I say all because I have 2 pairs of front calipers. I'm not sure what to do to fix that. BTW can anybody tell me if an xj1100 center stand will fit an xs1100?
                                The pistons for your 'standard' calipers, if rusted enough that they are pitted, should be replaced. New ones are available from several places (MikesXS, PartsNMore) but you can get stainless steel ones from this guy: http://www.twowheelsfrank.de. You have to email him for info, but he's price-competitive with the non-stainless pistons, even being in Germany.

As far as the centerstand, first identify your frame (as you have a 'frankenbike') to determine if it's a 'standard' or 'special' (I suspect it's a standard). You have two issues here; which frame, and will the stand clear your exhaust. The specials and XJ all use the same stand, but the standards use a different one that only fits those models. And the stand may be missing because of interference with your 4-1 exhaust; that's pretty common. Some owners intall the stand for servicing, then remove it for riding. You can identify your motor/frame here: http://www.xs11.com/faqs/153-serial-...ry-colors.html

HTH, and good luck!
                                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                                '82 XJ rebuild project
                                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                                '79F parts...
                                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                                X