Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Bike...What have I gotten myself into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Bike...What have I gotten myself into?

Hello everyone, my name is John and this is my story so far….

Alright so I have wanted a bike for a few years and I finally decided to buy one. I bought a 79 XS1100 (I think it's a standard). I know I probably bit off a lot to chew for my first bike but I got the bike for only $600 dollars. I might have paid a bit too much since it doesn't run. Now with that said this is my first motorcycle period so I am going to spend countless hours on the internet trying to figure out how to put it back together. Any advice will be appreciated but please no negative Nellie’s I know it's a huge bike for a first timer but I'm 25 years old 6'0 and 270 pounds so I think it will balance out in the end. I will post a lot of pics later to see if you guys can tell me what I have. It’s got a square headlight but what look to be adjustable shocks on the back. The previous owner told me he started it up every month up until August when the carb started leaking on the aftermarket carbs and the mixture screw (I think) got cross threaded and he had to get out the "easy out". It now needs to be tapped to clean up the thread. He did tell me he swapped on a stator to deal with all of the rectifier problems. It also has a 4 into 1 header. It needs the new front calipers put on and the back needs to be rebuilt or replaced. So again any kind words will be accepted and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Welcome.
    If you go to the maintenance and repair section there are a lot of threads there that will help you.
    Most of the members here know a lot about these bikes and can usually help with any questions you may have.
    82 XJ1100
    Regina,Saskatchewan,
    Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

Post some pics too if you can.
      82 XJ1100
      Regina,Saskatchewan,
      Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

Hey Scoob, welcome to the madness of the XS11!!!

It is a big bike for a new rider, and you are a larger than average guy. So it is more of a match up. But do know that these bikes are like the 66 Cutlass with a blown 455 in it. Lots and lots of HP you better respect or it will bite you, and alot of mass with a "limited" braking system. So big on the go and not so good at the stop part, at least compared to the current technology and bikes. I'll be the first to suggest you do take the MSF basic rider course. It will teach you alot of the safty concepts of riding that you will only learn through what could be fatal experience otherwise. It is a very good and worthwhile course.

Sounds like your PO was over his head somewhat. The carbs should be pretty simple to get sorted out. The electrical, well, I'm confused. How does fixing the stator correct the rectifier, I think someone got things reversed there, but as long as it all works now.

As to the brakes, definitely just go ahead and open up both master cylinders to be sure they are clean and the rear brake caliper as well. Most of the components on these bikes can be cleaned up and reused.

As questions arise, do come here and ask. No such thing as a dumb question, and better to ask first and fix it right than to screw it up and break something then come ask how can I fix it. BTDT, printed the T-shirt!! About the only two things that tend to get over analyzed and you will find folks going "ohhh...not again!!!!" is what oil to use and what tires to buy. Just like in your car, its all a matter of personal preferenc and personal experience. The one thing most will agree with is not to use synthetic oil in the engine, but do use it in the middle drive and final drive. Otherwise, any 20W-50 in the summer and 10W-40 in the winter is fine in the engine.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Hello and welcome

Look up CatatonicBug, Great resource for manuals
          1979 XS1100SF.

"You know what makes me sad... YOU DO, Why dont we run over to mamby pamby land and get you some self confidence you jack wagon" Will go down as one of the great quotes LOL

Comment

These are fun bikes, I would suggest taking an MSF safety class before you really get riding the bike. If you need a service manual find member catatonicbug and he has a link to his website in his signature and you can get couple different manuals.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome. I should have also added to my story that my I blew my Christmas present when I bought the bike because my Fiancé was like "Don't sign up for the MSF you're getting it for Christmas." I live in North Florida so will I still need to change the oil between seasons? Also when I got the book it came with a beat to crap Clymer book and two helmets (one for me and the old lady) and a signed copy of XS Eleven Heaven. The stock Mikuni's look ruff and the carb that was on the bike is Keihin Cake’s. I was told it is supposed to be like a Harley carb and use Harley parts. Not sure what size or jetting. I have some paperwork that says a bunch of stuff was replaced and rebuilt by the guy before the last owner in 2004 but he had to pay people to do it and none of the shops want to touch it these days. I know back in 2002 nobody wanted to touch the TX500 I inherited because it was too old. So I can imagine they had a lot of the same people working at the same shops in 2004 saying "i'm not sure what to do with this.

Comment

Yup most of the time if you bring something this old to a shop you end up paying for the techs to learn, and then your bike is still f'ed.

Are all the carbs the same or do you have 3 mikunis and one oddball?
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

i don't know about anyone else but i've always been told to avoid used helmuts like the plague, you never know if they've been dropped or whatever, could just be an old wives tale though . . .
                  1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                  Green Dyna Coils
                  Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                  kevXS

Comment

Originally posted by kevxs View Post
                    i don't know about anyone else but i've always been told to avoid used helmuts like the plague, you never know if they've been dropped or whatever, could just be an old wives tale though . . .
                    better than nothing.

I just think its kinda gross personally.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

welcome to the longest, most frustrating, confusing and extremely rewarding project that you'll probably end up with for a while (it becomes a bit of an obsession) I am also in north Florida and have one of these that I've been through and through quite a few times. depending on time and where you are if you get really stumped send me a message and maybe I can help you out. Ever since I started on "Kaliya" this forum and the people here have saved me a lot of trouble and have offered a lot of help.

best of luck.
                      79 XS1100 Special
                      Kerker 4-1, Pods, BS34 old style carbs, plastic floats, 147.5 mains, progressive rear suspension (restoring)

Comment

If the weather stays above about 40 or so year round, I'd probably just go with the heavy weight. But again, just an opinion.

As to used helmets. My thought is this, a new helmet can be had for $60 if your hard pressed. A new brain...well...pricey to say the least and the new you might not enjoy riding, so why take the risk. After all, your brain is really who you are, and is also the one thing they really have no option to fix or replace...yet anyway. At my MSF course, the instructor ripped me a new one for setting the helmet on the back seat of the bike and walking away, he told us that if it fell off that seat, it needed to be replaced. That counted as its one hit use.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

I just realized my spell check at work made my last post seem a little out of place. I have a full set of factory mikuni's and a full set of Kenhin CVK's. After some internet searching I think they are from an 87 ninja zx 1000 r. Atleast the numbers on the end are the same that are on those carbs. I did find out tonight my fork seals are shot.

Comment

Welcome to the madness! There is a ton of info here about getting the Mikunis running again, but limited info on any other types. Unless the Mikunis are phsically broken, I would say to use them instead of the other ones. Use the starter helmet you got with the bike, but start looking and shopping around to find a replacement soon.

The XS1100 was my first bike too, and though it is heavy, I didn't want to have to deal with "upgrading" later, since I knew SWMBO would not be too keen on that idea. It definitely made the little 250cc bikes at the MSF course feel like toys though! Take your time, read ALL the tech tips on this site (even if you think you don't need them) and read through the ENTIRE manual. That will give you a starting point for getting your ride back on the road.

As mentioned, the braking system on these bikes, even when new, are rather weak. Make sure all 3 calipers are functioning properly to make it stop, before you try to make it go. The engines are fairly bulletproof, and most work can be done with the engine still in the frame. Have fun with it, and keep us updated with your progress. We like pictures!
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

Things I don't have....

Gas tank key (my ignition can use just about any key)
                              Centerstand
                              Owners manual

Any ideas on where to get this stuff?

Catatonic, I will def be getting a new helmet as it's a full face and not really my style.

Comment

Working...
                              X