Transmission blues??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim_NH View Post
    Do any of you have any additional advice beyond the step-by-step instructions? Is this washer move safe, reliable and worth the risk?
    What parts/pieces/materials should I have in place BEFORE I flip the bike and open things up?
    Any other notes, warnings or cautions?
    Thanks again for the help--well worth keeping these bikes on the road.

Jim
    Nashua NH
    Welcome aboard! The washer swap is definitely worth it. It tightens things up in there for a more solid shift. The one thing I will suggest is that you DO NOT need to flip the bike. All the extra work it takes to flip it over just does not balance out IMO. You can do the whole thing on the side stand, but the Centerstand is even easier (keeps things level). The only down side is you get a little more dirty laying on the ground under the bike.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

That's very useful advice, as I'd really rather not flip the bike if I can avoid it. Fortunately, when I bought the Midnight Special, it came with a spare 1100 transmission, so I'm going to "practice" on that one, while it's on my workbench, BEFORE touching the MS.
      Will I need any gaskets other than high-temp RTV?
      Jim
      Nashua NH
      1980 1100 Midnight Special (2010-Present)
      1986 FJ1200 (2005-2008)
      1978 XS1100 (1978-1995)
      Honda CRF 230 (X3)
      Honda CB350
      Honda CR500
      Honda XR650
      Ossa 250 Pioneer
      Kawasaki 350 Big Horn

Comment

Will I need any gaskets other than high-temp RTV?
        Regular Black RTV is what I used on the first few that I did. Then, I discovered "The Right Stuff". It comes in a pressurized can, and works SO much easier. You cut the tip to the desired bead size, then just push the nozzle sideways to dispense. It's a little more $ than the tube stuff, but you don't have to be as worried about oil residue and you can torque down the parts right away instead of waiting an hour like the tube stuff requires.

So, to answer your question, no gaskets are required. The hardest part is removing the old gaskets from the engine though. They can be a bear...
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

I did get gaskets for mine... you can get a complete set at louis.de at about 70 euro. Thats for the whole engine minus the middle drive and the top vent cover. You even get valve oil seals and some other smallish stuff.

Anyway, I think the engine looks a bit better with a gasket than some goo around the seams.

I did use high temp silicone thingie (loctite number.... something. Ask if you really wanna know and I will check) where the two engine halves meet.

So... you can use silicone, rtv or gaskets... matter of preference.
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

JIM, Congratulations on getting the Midnight. I did get to take it for a ride before he sold it to you. It ran very nice, and it sucks about 2nd. Hope you get what you need out of the xtra motor. It's only been setting about a year, in my garage all the time. The bike just came off the road when I got it. It only was running on three but there were no problems with the trani.
            79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
            80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
            80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
            79 DT 100

Comment

I have been reading all of the post about the transmission fix since it looks like mine will need to be done too. Would like to find all the information I can before I do mine.
              '79 XS11SF

Comment

Just do it

Its all in the wrist... i mean tech tips..

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                  Just remember that the ONLY engine gasket that you actually need out of that kit is the Head gasket. ALL the other ones can be replaced with RTV. RTV is actually a lot easier to remove if you ever have to go back in there too.
                  Ditto here....I use either Suziki 1207B or permatex import grey for exact reason of very easy cleanup if I ever have to do it again.

I have done the second gear swap in less than 1.5 hrs on the motor that RTV intead of gaskets.

If you hang the bike by the bars so that the oil pan is in you face it is much easier....

BTW, it IS the second gear problem....

--Nick

Comment

... Is this washer move safe, reliable and worth the risk?
                    What parts/pieces/materials should I have in place BEFORE I flip the bike and open things up?
                    Any other notes, warnings or cautions?
                    Thanks again for the help--well worth keeping these bikes on the road.

Jim
                    Nashua NH

The washer swap is a time tested and is very safe/reliable and def. worth it. besides RTV, oil, Dremel and some stones for it, the only other thing you might need is another shift fork if yours is pretty bad,

--Nick

Comment

The 10 min limit.... hence another post

I use a felt pen to paint the dogs/slots, then slide the gears on the shaft and bang them a bit against each other. The contact points are then easy to see and you can Dremel away to make sure all the dogs make contact at the same time and along their whole surface.....you need to rotate the gear so different dogs engage different slots......for me this is the most time-consuming part, but I like to get them perfect!

--Nick

Comment

Thanks to All Involved

I just completed the 2nd gear repair, using the outstanding instructions available on this website, and the wise advice from other members of this forum (i.e. move the washer, use the Right Stuff, mark with a Sharpee, etc.).
                        I'll post some photos and lessons learned, once I download the pics from my camera.
                        Thanks to everyone who responded with advice and words of wisdom. The Midnight Special is fully functional and back on the road, where she belongs.
                        Jim
                        Nashua NH
                        1980 1100 Midnight Special (2010-Present)
                        1986 FJ1200 (2005-2008)
                        1978 XS1100 (1978-1995)
                        Honda CRF 230 (X3)
                        Honda CB350
                        Honda CR500
                        Honda XR650
                        Ossa 250 Pioneer
                        Kawasaki 350 Big Horn

Comment

Glad to heat it went well and she will be back on the road again!!
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Me too. Just did a test ride at 10 pm and we had 40cm of snow the next day
                            At least I know it works now...

Comment

Hey Jim, here is another one for you to fix.
                              http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/2179042620.html
                              79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                              80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                              80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                              79 DT 100

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
                                Hey Jim, here is another one for you to fix.
                                http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/2179042620.html
                                If it "was red and rusty" it probably isn't a midnight special
                                Nathan
                                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                                K&N Filter
                                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                                OEM Exhaust
                                ATK Fork Brace
                                LED Dash lights
                                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                                SS Brake Lines
                                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                                X