No announcement yet.

Transmission blues??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just move the washer from one side of 2nd gear to the other...

Only downside to this mod is the circlip will now be riding directly on the gear itself. This is no ordinary circlip though, it's pretty beefy and I've run these transmissions for many many miles this way with no problems. JMHO, HTH.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Another one of those debatable issues with supporters on either side of the "ailse". I myself have done the washer swap on all of them I have worked on, and never seen any problems or abnormal wear from it.

the process is very simple really. Once you have the countershaft out of the bike, there are some C-clips to remove to get the non moving gears off the shaft. For 3rd gear and 4th gear, there are C-clips with the typical holes in the ends to use a C-clip "pliers" on. For the one holding second gear in place, there are no holes. So I use a couple smaller screwdrivers to pry and work it off the shaft. Behind that C-clip lives the infamous washer, behind it is the second gear resting against a shoulder off the shaft. After you have ground the gears (some say no need to grind gears if you swap the washer, but I do both.) just put the washer on first, then the gear, then the C-clip. All the rest goes back as it came out.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Bike repair

Bug is pretty right on time . He got to my place about 9:00 am to do the second gear fix on my boys bike (XJ) and by 2:00 he was riding the bike.
        Bug looked like he had done 300 trans repair, the way he went at it.
        Thanks Tom
        82 XJ DAILY RIDE
        78 XS1100E FIXING UP
        79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
        79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
        80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
        82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

Well, I am a bit worried about what made the transmission seize.
          So I will pull the engine... anyway, I always wanted to know what XS eleven guts look like at only 23.000 miles.
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Another thing

That might make it seem seized is the four bolts that hold the univrsal to the middle drive. Had it happen to me once and it took a long time to figure what happened. Like you said, backed it up some and the problem went away because the bolt now had fallen completely out and was laying in the bottom of the rubber boot. Rod home from Northern CA and no more problems. It was later while looking for something else I noticed the missing bolt. When it got loose it hit the allen bolts on the back of the middle drive and eventually wrenched completely out of it's hole and totally destroying the bolt.
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I will definetly check that out as well... Ordered the gasket set yesterday... and new mufflers.

And off topic: You don't see motorcycles parked in front of the psychiatrist's office... - My friend is a psychiatrist. Sometimes he rides to work

Comment

Originally posted by strom View Post
                Ordered the gasket set yesterday...
                Just remember that the ONLY engine gasket that you actually need out of that kit is the Head gasket. ALL the other ones can be replaced with RTV. RTV is actually a lot easier to remove if you ever have to go back in there too.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

LOL...

Well, a complete set is about $80 US... includes valve seals (not that I will be replacing them at this time) and other junk...
                  I used silicone sealant on everything, but now, that I actually have a job that pays, I like to sort them out "properly".
                  Silicone now only goes on between the two engine blocks and exhaust gaskets (to hold them in place while I install the exhaust).

Comment

Hmm, that's a clever idea, using the silicone to hold the exhaust gasket. Guna have to do that next time.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Man I bought an 1100 with 1st and second wasted. I pulled the engine out- my choice. Put it on the bench upside down to fix the tranny. In mine every gear on the countershaft had wasted pinions and dogs- Every one! The big thing is I abandoned that project. THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD BE ABLE TO PUT THAT THING BACK TOGETHER CORRECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Kudos to those of you who can. If someone has never done the XS1100 tranny fix (me me me) I have to say pay a member to help you or pay a member to do it for you! Just my opinion. So many parts had to be removed- oil pump, retaining clips, bolts, shafts ect. I thought I could do it and man was I wrong. Again- I am envious of those of you who can do it. It was just to much for me. I did the fix on my XS750. Second gear is accessable by removing a side cover- a side cover! Took me 10 minutes to swap the washer around and put it back together on that bike. Anyway I picked up a ready to run XS1100 and the project bike- gutted engine and all is now my parts bike. If I have second gear problems on my new bike I will offer to pay a member good money to show me how. (My new bike shifts solid- I made sure before I bought it!) Thats my 2 cents

Comment

Dont give up just like that.

It just isnt that complicated. I swapped the 2nd gear when I bought my first XS11. It was in pieces anyway and the new parts came with the bike. Since then, I fixed or replaced:
                        - 3rd gear... cogs had teeth missing, replaced the whole transmision with a good used one from ebay
                        - 5th gear - fixed using the old transmission
                        - replaced middle drive - sprockets ate themselves

Now the 2nd gear is shot on my second (parts bike) XS. Will fix it.

It is not so complicated... it helps to have a good service manual. The original yamaha one is better than nothing, but not too good either. A friend has clymers or haines... I forgot... I will see if its in electronic form (got a laptop in the garage, plus the searches are easier)

Anyway, those service manuals have pictures in them. They help.
                        Also if you take pictures of parts before you take them out, its easier to reassemble later.

Good tools also help.

Besides, with all the knowledge on this board... you cannot really go wrong

Comment

6 hours including coffe, beer and pizza breaks...

We pulled the engine and split the block... since middle drive and stuff looked OK and wanted to find the reason for seizure of the gearbox.

It seems to be the shift fork... it was grinding against the sprocket it seems... some material is missing and it looks like it got a bit hot in there. Anyway, I have a better candidate for the 2nd gear fix (another pair of sprockets and shift fork), so I will do that...

Other than that, the engine looks good, main bearings look almost perfect and I got a mail saying they will ship my new exhausts and gaskets and stuff to me tomorrow.

Comment

New Owner of the Midnight Special

First and foremost, I'd like to introduce myself. I have been a longtime fan of the big Yamahas, having bought a brand new 1978 XS1100 right out of the crate and owning it for 20+ years. I also had an FJ1200 along the way, which wasn't as much fun to ride as the XS, but nice just the same. Now I'm the new owner of the 1980 Midnight Special which started this thread. Thanks to you all (especially XS11lover) for the valuable information and advice. I am about to undertake the 2nd gear repair, based on the "Tranny Fix 1st and 2nd Gears Dremmel Technique" posted in the tech tips section by TopCat.
                            Do any of you have any additional advice beyond the step-by-step instructions? Is this washer move safe, reliable and worth the risk?
                            What parts/pieces/materials should I have in place BEFORE I flip the bike and open things up?
                            Any other notes, warnings or cautions?
                            Thanks again for the help--well worth keeping these bikes on the road.

Jim
                            Nashua NH
                            Jim
                            Nashua NH
                            1980 1100 Midnight Special (2010-Present)
                            1986 FJ1200 (2005-2008)
                            1978 XS1100 (1978-1995)
                            Honda CRF 230 (X3)
                            Honda CB350
                            Honda CR500
                            Honda XR650
                            Ossa 250 Pioneer
                            Kawasaki 350 Big Horn

Comment

+1 on washer swap, doubles, maybe triples the life of the transmission before repairs are needed again. 100K+ miles on 2 XS's, no problems whatsoever.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If you look at the diagram at the top of the page, notice the "washer bolt" - on the top left.

When you remove it, make note of a washer beneath it... if any. When you remove the drive axle, check that end for any washers....

I wasnt sure with mine, whether a washer (not THE washer) was on the outside or inside regarding to the bearing. Went nuts checking the manuals and all seem to have it placed differently - or not at all, as the above picture.

If you are unsure... take a lot of photos of every dissasembly phase so you will have a reference on putting it back together.

Comment

Working...
                                X