Exhaust wrap length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust wrap length?

My bike has a 4 into 1 exhaust and has spots of surface rust, most of which I have been able to clean off. I am about to purchase exhaust wrap but am not sure how much to buy. Ive been reading that Harley guys go through one 50' roll with just two pipes. Although their pipes are of larger diameter, should I purchase two 50' rolls?
    Mark - 1979 XS11 Standard (Pic 1, Pic 2) (Pic 3) (Pic 4)

exhaust wrap retains water and will cause rust
    careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Don't know how much, but I agree that the wrap does cause rust. If you want to keep the exhaust you have for any length of time don't use it. Clean it up and powder coat it or ceramic coat it.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by mds2004 View Post
        My bike has a 4 into 1 exhaust and has spots of surface rust, most of which I have been able to clean off. I am about to purchase exhaust wrap but am not sure how much to buy. Ive been reading that Harley guys go through one 50' roll with just two pipes. Although their pipes are of larger diameter, should I purchase two 50' rolls?
        Hi mds,
        in my opinion wrapped pipes look ucking fugly.
        In fact they are water traps that'll rust your pipes out.
        What I did on mine was remove the rust with a cup brush on my angle grinder and spray them with manifold paint.
        Not as pretty as chrome but better looking than rust, eh?
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Exhaust wrap got a rep as a 'performance mod' when it appeared on turboed cars and bikes. It has a legitimate purpose there, as retaining heat going into the turbo is a good thing. On non-boosted motors, it's performance advantage is almost nil. The stuff will end up looking ratty after time, will trap moisture and rust your pipes.

As an added bonus, some of the wraps if gotten wet will smell like a stinky wet dog while drying...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/ex...calculator.php

Asking about wrap here is like talking about hardtails.
            Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

As Crazy Steve said, I've heard that even when dry that shiite smells bad when heated. I've wire brushed my pipes and used high temp BBQ paint with very good results. Manifold paint would probably better but again I've had good results with the BBQ stuff.
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

That's a handy little calculator!
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                  As Crazy Steve said, I've heard that even when dry that shiite smells bad when heated. I've wire brushed my pipes and used high temp BBQ paint with very good results. Manifold paint would probably better but again I've had good results with the BBQ stuff.
                  Same here, used a quality BBQ paint (flat black) and after a couple coats it has held up very well. I had to touch up mid-summer, no big deal, just cleaned the pipes and re-sprayed, after removing them from the bike and hanging them from my painting stand (an old I.V. stand) After drying over night it looked good as new. The more coats you have the more durable it becomes. P.S. I sandblasted all the original finish off the first time I painted them then have just cleaned them with a degreaser before repainting each time. Now after many coats they retain the finish rather well.
                  Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Working...
                  X