XJ Alternator Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
    a couple waterproof cigarette lighter sockets for cellphone, god, or ipod plug ins.
    I wanna know how you expect to get Him to plug into a cigarette lighter!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Oh I am good, I can get it to happen!

Supposed to be gps, stupid cellphone auto correct...
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        Hey Tom, as you do the HID you should do a little write up with pics, and part numbers. I am still looking at things and trying to figure out what to go with when I do it.

Basically all I want (at this point in my life) is a couple HID driving lights and headlights, and a couple waterproof cigarette lighter sockets for cellphone, god, or ipod plug ins.
        Yep, I love Tom's avatar too!
        '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

I have swapped all my rear lights to L.E.D. but retain standard bulbs (for now) in the dash lights and front directionals. I added two (2) 55w driving lights and I run with the driving lights on all the time. And so far I have had no problems at all.
          Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

I swapped my brake and tail light bulbs to LEDs a while ago. I would switch to the HID light, but my current headlight is a sealed beam, so I would need the whole housing. I\'d love to switch to LEDs on the turn signals, but I don\'t want to lose the auto-cancel... At this point, I can see the headlight dim when the signals flash.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by brusky View Post
              Along the same lines, I'm considering adding driving lights to my XJ but I haven't figured out if I have enough wattage to do so. Does anyone have the numbers available off hand? So far everything electrical is stock.

When you talk about doing the LED upgrade, are you just talking about swapping the bulbs with LED replacements or the entire light assembly?
              After converting some of my bulbs to LED, more to follow, I have added 2-55w driving lights and don't have problems, so far, and have been running them most of the summer as living in the country I need all the light I can get on some of these roads. I am going to run a volt meter to make sure I am not draining the batt. or over taxing the alt. I will convert to HID as soon as I can afford the up-grade.
              Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Working...
              X