XJ Alternator Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ Alternator Upgrade

So I am going through looking at posts about upgrading to the XJ alternator and I am trying to figure out what all is needed for it to be done. So correct me if I am wrong but is it just the rotor/flywheel piece and then the stator that is mounted to the cover that is needed?

Perhaps someone that has done this can chime in on some of the particulars of the switch.

Thanks
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Nate,
    I think you're going to need the XJ ignition box as well, maybe even the regulator/rectifier but I'm not sure of that.
    I've been contemplating the same mod for my G but it hasn't been necessary yet. Bikerphil and I switched the coils from my J to the G before the Suches rally and they made a big difference. I'm restoring the J so I didn't need them at the time. I'll find another set for it later.
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

As I've been able to gather from visiting these forums, the swap would gain a meager 4 ampere increase in electrical capaciy (22A to 26A).
      Hardly worth the effort unless your XS's charging system is in need of repair and needs to come apart in the first place. If your existing alternater is functioning as designed, you'll gain far more available capacity with a full LED conversion. JMHO
      '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

I'd say Mikes right.

Led and HID and you'll have power left for whatever.

i believe the only advantage other then the 2A gain is that it charges at full capasity at a lower RPM then the early 11's.

i'm running a 79 with very minor electrical upgrades (LED dash lights) and have also the 750 final drive which drops my cruising rpm to 36-3700 at 58mph.

my point is with a factory chraging system even at a lower cruising rpm i still have plenty of power with no extra accesories running.

if you're wanting to tack items on, then you'll need the LED and HID upgrades.

Good Luck.
        1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

I already did the led dash Lights and am going to do the rest this winter. I am just kinda thinking out loud here, but its good to hear that its really not worth it.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Along the same lines, I'm considering adding driving lights to my XJ but I haven't figured out if I have enough wattage to do so. Does anyone have the numbers available off hand? So far everything electrical is stock.

When you talk about doing the LED upgrade, are you just talking about swapping the bulbs with LED replacements or the entire light assembly?
            1982 XJ1100 Maxim

Comment

Formula

Watts divided by volts equals amps. Amps times volts equals watts.
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I added 2 halogen 55w driving lights at first, before the led mod and the charging system could not keep up.
                I changed out all the lamps except the headlamp with led bulbs, including the dash and indicators, current draw for the leds is now a non issue. Now the only major draw is the headlamp, approx 5 amp on low, figure 7 amp on high, plus the TCI and coils figure a max load of 10 amps with high beam on leaving nominally 12 amps available for more acessories, with a 2 amp buffer for being on low beam 98% of the time.
                A 55 watt lamp draws about 5 amps (55w/12v=4.58 amp) times two and I should still have 2 amps to spare with the high beam on if I decide to restore the driving lights Or maybe I'll go with a killer stereo instead
                Last edited by ManagerMike; 10-12-2010, 11:44 AM.
                '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

Comment

You can change over to LED either way. The more difficult way would be to change out the light plug and then you can get little LED boards (or premade light assemblies) with anywhere between 2 and 36 LEDs on it that you can fit into the stock light housing. Or you can buy the LED replacement bulbs for the 1157 or 1156 bulb that you need. The bulbs are easier but more expensive.

I am researching the HID headlight and do plan to install one sometime soon. I am going to be doing my tail and signal lights for sure this winter. I also plan at some point to hook up a set of HID driving lights at some point down the road.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

So the XJ1100 service manual says the AC Generator produces 14V, 26A at 5,000rpm. Using the formula above, would I be correct in saying I have 364 watts (14V x 26A = 364watts) of capacity in my bike? If so, I assume I start working my way back from there by subtracting all the items that draw power to determine my available capacity?
                    1982 XJ1100 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by brusky View Post
                      So the XJ1100 service manual says the AC Generator produces 14V, 26A at 5,000rpm. Using the formula above, would I be correct in saying I have 364 watts (14V x 26A = 364watts) of capacity in my bike? If so, I assume I start working my way back from there by subtracting all the items that draw power to determine my available capacity?
                      Dead on, just be sure to leave a bit of overhead to be safe, you don't want to be maxing out the alternator all the time, life expectancy will be reduced.
                      '78 E "Stormbringer"

Comment

Jut a comment. The XJ is a brush-style alternator. Brushes are getting harder to find. You would also need the right-hand cover in addition to the alternator itself since the alternator is longer on the XJ. Unless you really need the couple extra amps, in the long run you may be beter off sticking with the brushless XS design.
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

JMO..... Ditch all the standard electrical bulbs that you can..... upgrade your 'flasher' to accomodate the LED turn signals.... HID lighting (im in the process of doing that now....translation...as soon as i get enuf $$$$ to do what i want to do!!!)....

I replaced all the bulbs with LEDS in the indicator panel...LED turn signals, and the LED replacement brake bulbs..... No more headlight dimming at stop lights/ low revs.....

These mods will REALLY benifit those with 'dressers' with the additional lights and accessories such as a radio... On "Ghost", my Sony radio no longer cuts out at stop lights!!!!!

Oh...and they handle vibration better and last much longer too!!!
                          '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                          Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                          4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                          Windjammer(wiring issues)
                          SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                          New paint/brakes to come!!
                          ===============
                          '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                          ===============
                          '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                          Stock Pilots/125 mains
                          Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                          SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                          LED Brake Lite
                          Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerMike View Post
                            ....just be sure to leave a bit of overhead to be safe, you don't want to be maxing out the alternator all the time, life expectancy will be reduced.
                            Don't forget, if you use all the capacity on lights, stereos, etc, you may not have enough left to charge the battery!
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hey Tom, as you do the HID you should do a little write up with pics, and part numbers. I am still looking at things and trying to figure out what to go with when I do it.

Basically all I want (at this point in my life) is a couple HID driving lights and headlights, and a couple waterproof cigarette lighter sockets for cellphone, god, or ipod plug ins.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X