Questions about a '79 XS1100 Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm weird.

I like kick starting a bike. There's something almost visceral or even connate about it. Kickstarting versus button starting to me is like a handshake versus digital signature. I hope this makes some kind of sense.
    1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Kick start

Thats cool. I have owned three XS's two 1100 Special and never "kick started any 1100" It is my understanding, the reason they did away with the "kick starter" on the XS1100 was not just how easy it was to elec start, but how hard, if not impossabule it was to "kick start" You will have to hear from others about the ease of kicking an XS1100 over, could be a pice of cake I did try my 1979 XS750 once and found the kick started useless
      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
      1980 XS1100 Special
      1990 V Max
      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by Sojourner View Post
        I'm weird. I like kick starting a bike. There's something almost visceral or even connate about it. - - -
        Hi Sojourner,
        In my youth I had to kickstart my Velocette single and still have the scars from it.
        Oh! The ease and simplicity of pushing a button.
        Gotta go look up "connate"
        OK, it seems you are your own evil twin.
        Last edited by fredintoon; 09-26-2010, 11:30 PM.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Kickstarting Is No Problem

OEM, it's not at all difficult to kickstart an XS11. I did have to buy and install some parts to put a kicker on my '80G thanks to the factory wonks not including them but it usually starts effortlessly on the first kick unless I do something dumb like forget to turn on the kill switch. I'm still working on that.
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Congrats!!

That is indeed a heck of a bike for the money!! And it is only 20 minutes away form me, so good thing you found it first!! Would have made a great winter project for me.

As others have stated, there MAY be the stock kickstart lever underneath the air box, area or around there. There also MAY be the stock tool box in the tool box behind the left side cover. But often they are gone. The problem with leaving it mounted IIRC, is that the stock one does not swivel,

So after you kick start it, the lever is still sticking out which could become a hazard if your trying to put your foot down as the bike leans over to that side and it blocks you. Yeah, extreme safty pup perhaps but it only takes an instant to goo from fun riding to laying in hospital. Trust me.

I'd suggest getting the 750/850 kick lever, bending it slightly out to miss the interferance issue, and leaving it mounted.

I am always sceptical when the owner says the carbs just need synced or tuned. Most of the time they need a full cleaning.

Anyway, Enjoy the bike, and the immigrant song!!! If you need a hand with it or looking for a ride with a bunch of good people, we have a local group of XS owners here.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Yes sir I remember you. I spoke with you back around February/March concerning a $150 '79 in Colerain that was up to it's front axle in mud (it had been sitting exposed for that long). What can I say aside it's taken six months to find the deal I was looking for. When SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed, aka the wife) weighs in on the bike budget the money tends to get a little lean. Funny how we had $$ for a full kitchen remodel though...

Actually I'm glad the timing worked out the way it did. Since it needs some work and the riding season is over I won't rush anything to get it on the road. I know how enthusiastic I can get and brakes are awefully important!!

So now I can just save up and replace things as winter drags on. Steel brake lines, brake caliper rebuilds, master cyclinder rebuild, new battery, oil flushes and fills (engine and gear), carb overhaul, and get some new tires mounted and balanced. If there's spare time and money I'll mod the fuse box and buy one of those iPod/speaker setups to mount on the bars. Anyone have some experience or reviews on the bolt on sound systems?

Oh, and it's con·nate/ˈkänāt/Adjective
              1. (esp. of ideas or principles) Existing in a person or thing from birth; innate.
              2. Of the same or similar nature; allied; congenial

I'll admitt I went to the thesaurus for that one. I was trying to find a word that conveyed the interconnectedness of man and machine I feel when I kickstart a bike. Symbioticness or mutualism might have been a better fit. The bike needs me to physically start it, I need it to ride. I give it "life" and it gives me "release". Kickstarting a bike seems a menial enough task but for me it kind of sets the mood. Like the time you spend putting the bit and bridle on a horse before you ride. Hope you get my drift now.
              Last edited by Sojourner; 09-27-2010, 09:05 AM.
              1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

thanx for the post

I Just bought my first xs1100 Special for $240...it was in great shape, but wasn't running...in fact i bought it yesterday...So yesterday afternoon around 4pm i started taking it apart...I scrubbed down the carbs by hand with a toothbrush and a rifle cleaning kit and had em back together by 2:30am...I removed the Gas tank and ran a bunch of this hot pink goo crap through it to remove as much rust as possible...and sprayed it out...re-assembled everything and had it running this afternoon...like a CHAMP!...Anyway...I knew my bike had a spot for a kick start, but the guy i bought it off didn't know that there was a lever under the tool box, and neither did I until i read your thread, So, Thanxs cause now i can show off and kick start my bike...btw if you know an easier way of installing the air intake without removing the carbs could you let me know?
                Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
                Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

Kick starting

During a long ride I used to take a break every so often and just sit on the passenger portion of the seat, lean back and put my feet up on the handle bars and catch a few zzzz's. Anyway one day, while taking my feet down , my heel caught the starter button and broke it off. I drove it like that for three years, kick starting it everytime I rode it. I don't remember it being too difficult to kick over and they always start on the first or second jump.
                  mack
                  79 XS 1100 SF Special
                  HERMES
                  original owner
                  http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                  SPICA
                  http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                  IOTA
                  https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                  https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                  Frankford, Ont, Canada
                  613-398-6186

Comment

The air box and the carbs are always the subject of debate and dismay for some. In its stock format, there is no other way to install the airbox than to remove the carbs, slide the top of the air box into place, and then reinstall the carbs, and the lower half of the air box.

Now, if you want to modify things a little bit, then you can remove the top portion of the top bracket on the air box (the U shaped area on the top that attaches to the frame in front of the gas tank mount) and then whack off the air snorkel to be about an inch or two long or so. This will allow it to slide in without removing the carbs. And even better, let it slide back out before you remove the carbs next time.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                    X