How do you clean a molex connector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you clean a molex connector?

I've gone through a lot of the connectors on my bike and replaced a couple, and kinda cleaned a few, but I was wondering if there was any chemical solution that you have used to clean the "patina" off the connector pins in the Molex connectors. They all seem to get a white film of corrosion, and it seems to brush off the pins fairly easliy with a metal toothbrush, but the female connectors are a bit more difficult to clean.

I tried a fuzzy pipecleaner and some carb cleaner, but I'm not sure that did a very good job. Then I thought of using a product called "Tarn-X", designed for cleaning silver kitchenware. It says not to use on aluminum, but I would imagine that is because it won't leave a shiny finish like it will on Silver.

Have you guys had any luck with any other corrosion removal products/tools?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

You should use electrical contact cleaner. There are varieties available at your local auto parts store or at Radio Shack. Specialty products are available. Just GOOGLE it. The right stuff will wash that corrosion right out.

Last edited by jetmechmarty; 09-14-2010, 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

got a ultrasonic cleaner ?

When I putting together my bike, I cleaned all my harness connectors and plugs using my ultrasonic filled with about half water, then clamped a 1 quart ice cream tub to the edge of the ultrasonic with vice grips partially submerged in the water.

Sprayed some brake cleaner ( couple cans ) into the ice cream tub.

Turned on ultrasonic ( waves transfer to the brake cleaner that was in the tub )

Dip in connectors( 3-4 at a time ) for about 10 minutes in the tub of brake cleaner, they came out looking new, connectors clean as a whistle, all corrosion gone .. connectors are white again.
      1980 SG - "Blue Balls"

Complete Restoration - Finished June 21/2010

- 1179 kit
      - 80/81 carbs 42.5/115 mains with XS pods
      - Mac 4 into 1 exhaust
      - Venture auto CCT
      - progressive fork springs - no air
      - Mike's progressive rear shocks
      - Galfer S.S. Brake Lines
      - XSDirect - Black Coils
      - 8 mm S.S. Core Plug Wires
      - T.C. fuse box
      - TKat fork brace
      - Geezer regulator
      - Battlax BT45 V-Rated tires
      - 5W40 - Rotella T6 Synth Engine Oil
      - rest of bike is "good old Yamaha"

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        You should use electrical contact cleaner. There are varieties available at your local auto parts store or at Radio Shack. Specialty products are available. Just GOOGLE it. The right stuff will wash that corrosion right out.

Cool! I had used electrical contact cleaner in the past, but all it really did was de-grease. By the name of that stuff in the picture, I would imagine it takes the oxidation away? Does it require any kind of scrubbing, or does it just dissolve the corrosion away?
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

DeoxIT

I have not used that particular product, but I expect it is similar to what I use on the job. If that is the case, yes it will wash away contaminants and corrosion without any scrubbing.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            Cool! I had used electrical contact cleaner in the past, but all it really did was de-grease. By the name of that stuff in the picture, I would imagine it takes the oxidation away? Does it require any kind of scrubbing, or does it just dissolve the corrosion away?

CatatonicBug,

I use the same product. Works great. I do use a old tooth brush and give the connectors a quick couple of passes after I spay it on.
            Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
            Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
            Pod Filters
            DynoJet Kit
            T.C.'s Fuse Block
            Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
            Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
            V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Well, I went to Radio Shack and got 2 of the little 2-bottle kits. That stuff is expensive! I'll give it a shot, and hopefully, get some amperage back.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

You can also get a tool, from a real electronics supply store, which will scrape a molex connector (both male & female side). I think that Napa had them too! I'll have to see if I still have an Ultra-Pro catalogue kicking around...
                1982 XJ1100

Comment

Before you reassemble them, go to a parts store and get a tube of silicon grease, like the stuff that Ford puts in all their connectors, and put it in all yours. Then you won't have to do this ever again. CZ

Comment

Originally posted by tantor View Post
                    You can also get a tool, from a real electronics supply store, which will scrape a molex connector (both male & female side). I think that Napa had them too! I'll have to see if I still have an Ultra-Pro catalogue kicking around...
                    I will have to look for that. I was hoping something like that existed!

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                    Before you reassemble them, go to a parts store and get a tube of silicon grease, like the stuff that Ford puts in all their connectors, and put it in all yours. Then you won't have to do this ever again. CZ
                    Well, that's the point of the 2nd can in that 2-can kit of Deoxit. It's the protector spray. Of course, I also have a can of dielectric grease that I use quite often too.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

You can find electrical contact cleaner at many hardware stores and auto parts dealers. LPS makes a great product and is widely available.

Deny
                      1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                      1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Originally posted by DenyP View Post
                        You can find electrical contact cleaner at many hardware stores and auto parts dealers. LPS makes a great product and is widely available.

Deny
                        Yeah, but most contact cleaners are only a de-greaser. They don't do anything for corrosion. That's the selling point for the De-Oxit stuff, that it bubbles and eats away the corrosion. If there's another product that does the same thing, I'd like to know about it.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

A quick GOOGLE turned up a bunch of them. Aerospace products work best, but they are extremely pricey.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

A quick GOOGLE turned up a bunch of them. Aerospace products work best, but they are extremely pricey.
                            Well, neither of those two examples get rid of corrosion. They only get contaminants like dirt and grease.
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

I got tired of looking. I use the airplane stuff, and it does the job you seek to do. I expect the DeOXIT will do a fine job.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X