Carb problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb problem!

I was rebuilding the carbs on my '80 standard today and when I was doing the carb for number I noticed that the PO stripped ot the head on the idle mix screw. The top of it is completely flat with no groove to catch on. My question is whether or not the carb is junk now due to this or is there a way to repair it?

Too much ice cream.

I was rebuilding the carbs on my '80 standard today and when I was doing the carb for number I noticed that the PO stripped ot the head on the idle mix screw. The top of it is completely flat with no groove to catch on. My question is whether or not the carb is junk now due to this or is there a way to repair it?
    My question is how did he screw it in with no groove?

Blue Bell MOO BARS
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

I would imagine that he ran it in to far and thats how he stripped it.

Comment

Coming down from the MOO BARS. Is it possible that you are looking at the blind plugs put in to keep meddlers out? They are removable. The screw is hidden if so.
        79SF
        XJ11
        78E

Comment

Outlet side of carb on top off opening is a idle mixture screw. I do know the difference between a plug and a screw, I had already rebuilt the first three before this.

Comment

Just the Ice Cream talking . I know of some common screw head issues, this is new to me. Let the knowing speak. No Offense intended.
            79SF
            XJ11
            78E

Comment

The screw could have easily been stripped when the PO tried to remove it. They are brass, and very soft.

There are lots of options for removal, but the first thing to do is soak the screw in PB Blaster for a while. After that, but the whole carb in the freezer, then torch the outside of the carb, right around the screw. This will make the carb and the screw contract and expand, hopefully helping to break the hold on the screw. You can then use either a left-handed drill bit or a thin ez-out to try VERY CAREFULLY to remove the screw. Some folks have taken the carb to a machine shop and had them drill out the screw, then use dental picks to clean out the threads.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by rgoot01 View Post
                Not yet, but it would be real easy to make it junk.
                If you are a handy sort of guy, and you have the proper tools, you can drill and EZout the offending screw. The drill will have to be modified to drill the brass, and the EZout won't likeky be found at Ace, but it is doable. A mill would be a nice thing to have for this sort of thing. CZ

Comment

I think I'll go ahead and try the e-z out. I thought of that but wasn't quite sure, now that someone else has suggested it I will get to it starting in the morning.

I've had a couple of other goofy things like this arise already. I rescued this bike from this "tweaker" who was really f'ing this bike up when he'd get going on his dope and now that I own it every time I put a wrench to it I am scratching my head as to what the hell this guy had done to it.

Comment

Also, where might I get a replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by rgoot01 View Post
                      Also, where might I get a replacement?
                      If you are getting just the screw, try the e-bay seller, "Georgefix". He really knows his stuff when it comes to the carb parts and seems to be really easy to deal with. Send him a note, and I'm sure he'll set you up.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Right on! I'll check that seller out. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Be careful using an EZ out, since they are tapered the more you turn it in the more the mixture screw and surrounding carb will try and expand. I watched a guy try and get a mixture screw out of one of his carbs using an EZ out and the mixture screw split and busted a chunk out of the carb. Funny!
                          Saskatoon, Canada
                          1982 XJ1100
                          1982 650 Maxim
                          1978 XS1100

Comment

I've gotten them out by re-cutting the screwdriver slot with a dremmel tool. Buy yourself a set of diamond tipped dentist-sized bits and carefully make the groove on the jet head, then soak it real well in pb blaster, heat the outside before trying to unscrew it.
                            1980G Standard, Restored
                            Kerker 4 - 1
                            850 Rear End Mod
                            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                            Automatic CCT
                            1980GH Special, Restored
                            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

The problem with the mixture screws is that they are down in a well, and there is no way to get in there with a Dremel tool. The best way is to clamp them in a mill, and take a 1/16 in end mill, (you do have one of those, don't you), and make a new slot. A left hand drill bit is another alternative, but they are about as common as 1/16 in mill bits. Either way, caution and finesse is the key word. CZ

Comment

Working...
                              X