G vs SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G vs SG

Can anyone tell me if the G & SG model parts are interchangeable??

Thanks,

G is an 80 Standard and SG is an 80 Special. Engine parts are interchangable, but most body parts, no.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Depending on how stock you want to keep the bike, there are a number of thigns past the engine that can interchange, truly the entire drive line including the swing arms IIRC. The rear brake system should be identical, but the wheels are not and switching them requires switching a spacer and rear brake caliper support bracket as well. On the front, the wheels are the same, rotors can interchange but IIRC, the standard did not have slotted rotors and the special did. They will swap but not look the same.

Many of the electrical components and ignition components are the same as well.

But like Phil stated, frame, wiring harness, side covers, seat, and forks and triple trees are not the same for sure. Other things are also different I am sure that I do not recall right off.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Hi Greybeard,
        what they said. Lotsa stuff can be swapped but it will look different. Also, if you are swapping in the Special forks,
        swap it 'trees and all. If you swap the Special fork tubes etc. into the Standard 'trees the front wheel gets moved forward which will give you scarily quick steering although it's a real low-cost fix if you are fitting a sidecar. You will also be stuck with the Special's Weird Harold front calipers.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          Depending on how stock you want to keep the bike, there are a number of thigns past the engine that can interchange, truly the entire drive line including the swing arms IIRC. The rear brake system should be identical, but the wheels are not and switching them requires switching a spacer and rear brake caliper support bracket as well. On the front, the wheels are the same, rotors can interchange but IIRC, the standard did not have slotted rotors and the special did. They will swap but not look the same.

Many of the electrical components and ignition components are the same as well.

But like Phil stated, frame, wiring harness, side covers, seat, and forks and triple trees are not the same for sure. Other things are also different I am sure that I do not recall right off.

The front wheel speedometer gear/housing is slotted to fit differently at the bottom of the forks and in the wheel hub. The speedo cable housing fits only its 'match-up' speedo gear/housing. The speedo gear/housing is not interchangeable from Special fork tube to Standard fork tube. IIRC, from when I tried to do this 5 years ago, and discovered it was a "no-go".
          JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
          7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Anyone know if the tanks are interchangeable?
            1980 xs1100G - Sold
            1981 Venturer - Stock

Comment

Nope...

The tanks are not interchangeable. That falls under the Body category.
              Gone but never Forgotten:
              1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
              2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
              2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by skippy344 View Post
                The tanks are not interchangeable. That falls under the Body category.
                Hi Skippy,
                someone's been feeding you bad info, check this out:-

My XS11SG with it's Standard tank.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Nice looking bike. Do you still have your old tank? I've been looking at getting a 80' special tank for my bike.
                  1980 xs1100G - Sold
                  1981 Venturer - Stock

Comment

Originally posted by TheDuck View Post
                    Nice looking bike. Do you still have your old tank? I've been looking at getting a 80' special tank for my bike.
                    Hi Duck,
                    sorry, not for sale.
                    It's a good bet that Andreas has a Special tank that you could buy. But why? The Standard tank holds an extra gallon of gas and the way the XS11 drinks gas you may need it.
                    And for what bike? Your profile says you haven't got one yet.
                    Last edited by fredintoon; 09-11-2010, 09:35 AM.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

New to the site, haven't updated my profile for the bike info yet. I thought the specs on the 80' special showed a 25 liter tank. Maybe I was looking at the wrong info.
                      1980 xs1100G - Sold
                      1981 Venturer - Stock

Comment

I had always thought my Special tank held 3.9 gallons. There is info on this site that sez "4.5" gal. (??)

......."25" liters would be upwards of six and half gallons!?! Standard tank is about a gallon more than the Special tank...................
                        JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
                        7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDuck View Post
                          New to the site, haven't updated my profile for the bike info yet. I thought the specs on the 80' special showed a 25 liter tank. Maybe I was looking at the wrong info.
                          Hi Duck,
                          that 2 is a 1. Clymer's sez the US model Special has a 15 liter tank and the US model Standard has a 20 liter tank.
                          There's a European model XS11 that has a bigger than the US Standard tank and it may well be 25 liters.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                          X