No announcement yet.

Tire Shopping ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to change my own, but after fighting with the rim locks on the rear for two days, $25 for the front and $35 for the rear didn't seem so bad. Cost another $7 ea. for balancing. If you've got a '78, then you probably have rim locks in the rear too. I would recommend taking it to someone familiar with rim locks 'cause they're a real booger.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

+1 on the 78 rim locks. Comes apart easy, but going back together cannot be done by mere mortals.
      Bob

Comment

Mounting and balancing

Here in Palm Bitch Co. the best you will do is $40 to $50/tire for mounting and balancing. You may get a $15 break if you buy the tires from them. And you really can't count on them getting it right, I still have a leaky new tire on my XJ. The J is in the process of restoration now so it can wait. I'm riding my G until it cools down a enough to work on it.
        Next tire I will mount myself, it'll probably be the rear one on the G.
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by buggrin View Post
          ...the 78 rim locks. Comes apart easy, but going back together cannot be done by mere mortals.
          Wussies... nobody but me has ever put tires on my '78.

Yeah, they're not easy, but you just have to have patience...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...