Tire Shopping ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Shopping ???

I need to get new tires for my 78 standard restoration which is about 99% complete . The Dulops that are on the bike have a ton of tread left but they feel as hard as a rock. No cracks at all, the rubber just feels like stone and the last thing I need after all the money and time that's gone into the bike is to have a tire failure! And I don't care to end up on the pavement either! I've been pouring over all of the tire threads and I just need to ask a question:

My manual states that the wheels are not designed for tubeless tires and I want to keep it that way. So, as I shop for tires, do I need to look specifically for tube type tires or can a tube be installed in any tire?

I'd like to use the Bridgestone Spitfires... if they can accept a tube.

Thanks!
    '78 XS1100E
    '83 XVZ12

Originally posted by jfmerk View Post
    I'd like to use the Bridgestone Spitfires... if they can accept a tube.
    Yes they will accept a tube. I ran those on my 79F with tube type rims until I converted to tubeless rims. They can be run either way, tube or tubeless. I still run those tires, but on the rear only. For some reason, the front's dry rot on me before they are worn out. Might have to do with S. Florida's hot climate.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

You'd be hard-pressed to find a street-bike 'tube' tire these days.

Nearly all the tubeless bike tires sold today can be fitted with tubes (maybe all, I haven't run into any that couldn't) so pick your fav. The only caveat is installing a tube will usually knock the speed rating down one notch, but who rides at 100+ for extended periods....
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I've got Kenda Challenger on mine. I've had a few now and they seem to be a good enough tyre, and wear well but i'm not sure I'll put another on on. My new bike (XJR1300) has a Bridgestone Battlax on the back and it sticks real well. The bikes roughly the same weight as the 11 (3kg lighter with full tank) so they should be a good tyre on the 11 as well. Width might be the only real issue, its a 180 and I dont know if they come in a 140 to fit the 11. Fitting a tube should'nt be a problem for you. Don't most tyres accept a tube ? The tubeless recommendation is only regarding the rim as far as I know (but I could be wrong).
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Absolutely not the case. I have German made Heidenau racing/street tires on a custom street bike that are super, super sticky and run tubes in them. I also have buddies that run the Super motard racing series bikes with racing slicks and some have tubes and others don't. I really don't know why the preference to one or another, but there are many sources here in the states and abroad that offer street and/or racing rubber for tube and or tubleess applications.

Comment

Somewhere on here there's a thread that states that running a tube in a tubeless tire reduces the speed rating by one. I don't know if that's true, but I can see where a tube could increase the heat in the tire reducing the rating. That being said, I've got S11's on my '79F with tubes in them and I like them a lot. I've got a 110 up front, which you can get away with on a standard, and I like the wider tire. You probably get a tiny bit better grip with the bigger tire, but I mostly like the way it looks. My $.02
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the comments everyone, it looks like I will pick up a pair of Spitfires which I found for 120.00 for front and rear and no shipping charge. Seems like a good price. A local shop gets 40.00 ea. for mounting and balancing +15.00 per tube. I don't feel up to hackin' up my wheels trying to do it myself!
              '78 XS1100E
              '83 XVZ12

Comment

I dont now what you guys normally pay for fitting and balance but 40 bucks each sounds like a helluva lot to pay for 10 minutes work, or was that a typo and supposed to read 4 bucks each?

Average price here is 7 to 10 dollars, depending on the weights required.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I pay $28 a tire here, and it doesn't matter if I buy them at the shop or not. However, I tend to buy locally when I need to have the shop involved in the work in any way to help them stay in business. It's nice having an MC shop within a few blocks that actually understands these old bikes.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thats almost $40 New Zealand Dollars and by our standards that's seriously expensive. Is that $28 a minimum charge of an hours labour or something like that?

Comment

Oh no, an hours labor is like $65 or something like that, so it's probably something closer to 1/2 hour if anything but based on how long it takes, I figure their charging ro 15 minutes labor plus wear and tear on the equipment and of course weights since that is included in the base charge.

I mean unless the mechanic is in the middle of something where he can't stop for a few minutes he usually stops right then and does my tire for me. And most of the other shops in town are more expensive, and even more so if you don't buy the tire from them.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

tires

In the fifty six years that I have owned motorcycles, I have NEVER had a tire mounted or balanced by anyone other than myself. Last year, at age 71, I mounted and balanced front and rear tires on my XS1100 standard. It is not very difficult. I have one of those heavy duty cardboard barrels, with the metal ring removed. The wheel sits on this with clearance to work the tires on and off without scratching the rims. If the old ones are stubborn, I can break them in a bench vise, but can usully do it with a large C clamp and a block of plywood. There is a thread on here that tells how to balance the wheel/tire combo. You can use stick-on weights, but be sure to place them so the centrifical force of the spinning wheel will push them onto the rim. I use Automotive balance weights, if they are spread open a bit, they will clamp on to the flange in the center of the wheel. Mounting tires is quite easy, the hardest part is convincing yourself that you CAN do it.
                        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                        79 F (Blueballs)
                        79 SF (Redbutt)
                        81 LH (organ donor)
                        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                        rover has spoken

Comment

Yeah, I too mount and balance my own. I was just interested in what seems to be extortian for fitting them. Must be just the different economy's thing.

Comment

No typo in that price, it is however 30.00 per wheel + the tube rather than 40.00, if I buy the tires through them but they want nearly 200.00 for the two tires. I like to keep business in the neighborhood too, but thats a significant difference. I'll shop a little more but here in the Twin Cities, they're all going to be about the same.
                            '78 XS1100E
                            '83 XVZ12

Comment

I do my own tires too, after seeing my buddies have some bad experiences . Now I help them change and balance tires . I agree, most shops charge too much.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X