Moving rear directionals to license bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving rear directionals to license bracket

On my '81 special I have a 78 licence bracket with the square box lens. Beside it are two unused mounts. I'd like to move the directionals there so I can use some oversized saddle bags that don't quite fit on the back of the seat because of the current position of the directionals. I found some lights that look like they have 90 degree mounts on Parts'n'more, but they have square lenses and I'd prefer to keep with the rounded style. Does anyone have any pics or suggestions on how to do this and where to look for the hardware?
    1981 XS1100SH

My bike actually came with the rear signals mounted on the license plate. There is a tube with a bracket welded to it that mounts on the license plate bracket and then the square signals are held onto the tube with pinch bolts and the wires all run through the tube. Dont know if its a factory setup for bags or if its something really well done by a PO cause it looks factory. I am just trying to figure out how to change the square signals over to round.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Made my own signal bracket for the licence plate location. Used some flat bar and made the 90 degree out of some angle iron.

Last edited by bikerphil; 08-31-2010, 05:26 PM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I moved my rear directionals to the tail lamp/licence plate mount some time ago to allow for bags on my 78. Sill have the 78 stock square lamps though.
        No special hardware was needed and the wiring existed...
        '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          Made my own signal bracket for the licence plate location. Used some flat bar and made the 90 degree out of some angle iron.
          Thanks Phil. Looks like that's pretty much a bolt on solution which would be ideal as I wouldn't have to buy any new parts and could pick up the hardware as the 'ware store.
          1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I've yet to figure out why people cover, block-out or blur their license plates in pictures. Just seems silly.
            '96 Kawasaki ZX11, bought February 5, 2015

'79 Kawasaki LTD 1000, bought Oct 19,2010.....sold Sept 12, 2013

'81 XS11 Special, bought May 6, 2010.....sold Oct 19,2010

'79 XS 11 Special, bought July 3rd, 2008

'78 XS11 Standard, bought July 2, 2009.....sold Aug 25, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Schweer View Post
              I've yet to figure out why people cover, block-out or blur their license plates in pictures. Just seems silly.
              Duh, to hide the number.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                Duh, to hide the number.
                But why? You drive around the countryside with it visible. What difference does it make, and what danger can it put you in if someone see's it in a picture online?

I've wondered the same thing...
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Bug, better safe than sorry. It really didn't take that long to do. I probably should have taken the plate off so the entire bracket setup was visable.
                  Last edited by bikerphil; 09-01-2010, 04:15 PM.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Besides, they got the number of that bike that was part of the bank robbery.
                    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                    A quick death and an easy one.
                    A pretty girl and an honest one.
                    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I think I'd cover mine if I thought about it ahead of time. But then, I still need to check into the statute of limitations in some states before I go back!! Hate to have some Dad at my door because of a picture I posted. (yes, that is my version of a joke).
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

You'd be suprised at some of the reasons to cover/blur the plate on a photographed vehicle, just google search it.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                          But why? You drive around the countryside with it visible. What difference does it make, and what danger can it put you in if someone see's it in a picture online?

I've wondered the same thing...
                          Seeing it online is the clincher here, If a ten second precaution can potentially save years of aggravation and thousands of dollars fighting a case of identity theft, well, why not work with Murphy than against him?

Some computer guru in Pakistan (when he's not working as a tech support agent for Dell) could take the plate info and the ip address associated with it and garner enough data to open credit accounts in someone elses name......or FAR worse.
                          A little cya never hurts.
                          '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Here in Ohio anyway, most counties have a property search function on their auditors web page. With simply a name I can find out where they live, and in some cases, what was paid for the house.

As to the plate info, here is a nice little story I may have shared before. Some years ago my wife was applying to take the bar exam, which requires a very in depth background check. They have to be certain you were squeeky clean prior to learning how to bilk people out of their lifes savings. Anyway, we sold a car to someone by setting it out at my mothers house. Cheap old car, $500 was all. So my mother let them use our plate to take the car home and they were supposed to bring it back, which never happened. Soooo... this is in May and my wife was born in Jan and here in Ohio, the plates run from birthday to birthday. So I get a call the next January from the dufus who bought the car telling me he lost the title and needed another to finally register the car. Told me the engine blew right after he got it and he never titled it and now can't find it. Hmmmmm, says I, rather convenient the timing of the registration isn't it. So I tell him I knew what he was up to and I would not do it. Calls back a couple times and I agree to sell him the title for $30, since it would cost me to get it and for my time and efforts. He argued, and I said well I'll just report the car stolen and you can prove you bought it then. He agrees to the $30. Nowww, the REAL fun begins. Two days later the phone rings, and it is the local sherrif where this guy lives. Wants to talk to my wife. I ask what about and he tells me he suspects her of selling drugs with this guy. Turns out he is in jail on charges, they confiscated the car, and they have survellience of a lady selling drugs out of the car that appears to be his girlfriend. So after a discussion of how this was not my wife, he insist we turn the title over to him. Now I am skepticle that this is one of his friends calling, so the sherrif tells me he will be at my house tomorrow to get the title (which I had gotten already), I did not give him the address, he knew it. I make certain it IS the sherrif, and give him the title after I filled it all in as being sold to this guy cause I want the record to reflect they took the car from him and not us!! Recall that bar exam thing where they look to see if you wiped twice on every Sunday or not.

So all that to say, what if some similar persons copies your plate? After all, if you lose your plate you can write the number on a piece of cardboard till you get a new plate made. Yep, covering that plate seems alot simpler than dealing with all THAT crap!!
                            Last edited by DGXSER; 09-01-2010, 05:52 PM.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                            X