New XJ 11 owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New XJ 11 owner

I bought a 82 XJ 11 Maxim last night with 40,000 miles on it. I will need to find an owners manual and maintenance and repair manual for it.
    I will be putting new tires on in a couple months. What are some good recommendations. That 130 sure is close to the drive shaft housing.
    It has a oil leak at the top front on the overhead cam. Will I have to put new gaskets on. I don't want to touch it without knowing what the torque specs are first. It has a Slipstreamer windshield on it with mounts incorporated into the mirror stems. I want to lower the handlebars some for comfort. Doesn't look like there is much room it will go. My last bike was a 79 Goldwing. Sat totally different. Seat height to handle bars was just right for me.
    Thanks,
    Vaughn

Originally posted by Vaughn View Post
    I bought a 82 XJ 11 Maxim last night with 40,000 miles on it. I will need to find an owners manual and maintenance and repair manual for it.
    Welcome! For the manuals, go to any post (use the search function above in the header) by Catatonic Bug; he has a link in his signature for a FREE download....

I just hope you're not dial-up challenged!
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Welcome to the forum! You can get a service manual from the link in my signature. The valve cover gasket can be replaced with RTV, so no need to try to purchase the actual gasket. The tires are normally rather close to the swingarm, so no worry there. There are TONS of threads on this forum about what tire is the favorite, so do a search and plan on several days of reading!

This is definitely the place for information about these classic bikes, so ask any questions you might have, and be sure to post some pictures so we can follow along with your progress!
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks for the info, Vaughn

Comment

The XJ has adjustable handlebars to change horizontal and vertical positions. Once you've downloaded the manual, check page 2-23 for complete adjustment procedures.
          XJ1100 Ruby Red
          XS1100LH "Midnight"
          1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

It has a oil leak at the top front on the overhead cam. Will I have to put new gaskets on.
            Like Bug said, you can use RTV to seal it, but you only need about a 1/16" bead. Anything more than that and it's going to get a little messy. You want to apply the rtv to the head, not the valve cover - tends to get scraped off when you put the valve cover back on. Torque spec is 7.2 ft lbs, or 186.4 inch lbs (depending on your torque wrench) on the valve cover bolts.

And, oh yeah - welcome to Ch11!
            Last edited by dbeardslee; 08-29-2010, 01:48 PM.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I'm glad to know only RTV is needed to seal the valve cover gasket, I'm going to check the Shims on the XJ11 this weekend and I forgot to add the Valve cover gasket to my order for carb parts. I have no RTV at the moment, is there a good brand to get that won't be a bugger next time I go to check shims in 5,000 miles?

FWIW, I ordered the parts from Len "Chacal" at info@xj4ever.com at XJbikes, paying by paypal. The order was out the door within 20 minutes of my placing it. Talk about perfect shipping, couldn't ask for better service than immediate!
              Last edited by KA1J; 11-23-2010, 05:10 PM. Reason: clarification
              82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Check this out

Lots of info on this site.http://www.ringler.us/xs1100/XJ1100ServiceManual.pdf
                Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

KA1J........visit your local auto parts store and get a tube of high-temp gray silicone using a thin film on cleaned top of head. Remove and clean cam-end plugs and recesses and do the same there before re-installing valve cover.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Post some pics of the bike(We like pics). I'd like to see what it looks like with the slipstreamer on it. I just bought one for mine and won't be installing it till spring.
                    82 XJ1100
                    Regina,Saskatchewan,
                    Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

Originally posted by lancelot455 View Post
                      Post some pics of the bike(We like pics). I'd like to see what it looks like with the slipstreamer on it. I just bought one for mine and won't be installing it till spring.
                      Here's mine when I still had the Slipstreamer on it.

Closeup of the mounts.

Sorry for the hijack.
                      Larry
                      Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                      82 XJ1100
                      80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                      64 Yamaha YA-6
                      77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                      See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
                        Here's mine when I still had the Slipstreamer on it.

Closeup of the mounts.

Sorry for the hijack.
                        Larry
                        That's the same one i bought but the mounts are different. They screw into the mirror mounts then the mirrors screw onto the mounting adapter.
                        82 XJ1100
                        Regina,Saskatchewan,
                        Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          KA1J........visit your local auto parts store and get a tube of high-temp gray silicone using a thin film on cleaned top of head. Remove and clean cam-end plugs and recesses and do the same there before re-installing valve cover.
                          Motoman... Thank you.
                          82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

For a more compact installation of the Slipstreamer on my XJ, I used the holes you see immediately below where Yahman installed his support brackets/clamps. You get access to the back of the handlebar uprights by taking the cable cover off. Then I basically bolted the cylinder with the stud directly to the handlebar uprights with a nut and washer under this cover. By the 'cylinder with the stud" I'm referring to the one used for the windshield posts/standoffs, and that serves to tighten the clamps to the round handlebars.
                            I have the 16" Slipstreamer, don't know if you have the 19" one, and this setup provided the correct angle (in line with the angle of the forks) for my installation.
                            I hope I didn't mangle this explanation too badly. I know a picture is worth a thousand words but my J is undergoing restoration and I hadn't taken a pic with this setup.
                            1980G Standard, Restored
                            Kerker 4 - 1
                            850 Rear End Mod
                            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                            Automatic CCT
                            1980GH Special, Restored
                            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
                            X