My XJ1100 Restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My XJ1100 Restore

Over the past year I've been working on rebuilding an XJ1100, and learning all that I can from an experienced mechanic. A buddy of mine set me up with this guy for motorcycle "classes" which turned in to more of a rebuild my motorcycle in a box.

My running bike is a 1980 XJ650. The biggest things I've taken out of this experience are the idea that it isn't that I'm not capable of working on bikes, it's a lack of confidence and a lack of tools. I've also gained a deep respect and love for these bikes. Either that's the lack of riding other bikes, or it's just I've been lucky to own the best. Regardless, I've learned enough to feel confident working on these bikes!

Check out the photos from the rebuild!

This is how I found the bike:

1/16/2010 - Basically start of rebuild
    v

3/6/2010 - Note the Before/After with Geezer's valves (actually done later)!

6/13/2010 - Engine in frame

8/21/2010 - Almost there!

I have a working front brake now, but waiting on the rear brake lines to come in - they should get to the shop Monday. Time for tires, battery and tags!

Here's a breakdown of the costs:

82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
    Website/Blog

Very nice and I am sure quite the learning experience!! And not that much money invested really, about $1200 time your done. Looks like you got a pretty complete bike for being in a box.

You should be very proud of your work, you did a great job!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I can't wait to tackle one of these bikes by myself. I've been keeping my eyes open for an XS barn bike. It would be awesome to find an older XS11 next.

This XJ was my father-in-law's bike. It has been down more than once. The crank broke in half 20 years ago. When he was young he used to bar hop on it. He dropped it on his leg and burned the hell out of himself because he was drunk and couldn't get the bike off of himself. They grafted skin from his ass to fix him up.

He kept telling me I should just part it out and buy a bike. Screw that. My wife remembers when she was little, hearing his bike screaming down the road miles away and would run and tell her mom that her dad was almost home.

The nostalgia of it is great! We'll never give this bike up. I can't wait to get my father in law back on this bike for a ride.

These bikes, man, the guy that was helping me rebuild it was telling me the other day he remembers working on these bikes with his dad when he was younger, and when he started out working on bikes he used to assemble these new.
      Website/Blog

Comment

Way to go. One more xs/xj saved from the junk yard.
        When I was little the Yamaha shop was accross the street from my house, we used to drool over the "new" xs's.
        In the late 80's, when I got one of my first real jobs, I worked for a big ole biker. What did he ride? A 79 xs11 special.
        When I went out to buy my first bike I was looking for a small bike to learn on. I found a beautiful xs850 for half the price of the smaller bikes I was looking at. My buddy said "get it, you won't have to buy a bigger bike later"
        He was wrong. I got an xs11.
        I'm not sure what that all has to do with your project but these bikes have"history". I wish I had a $ for every "i remember when" I've been told while out on the xs11.
        The xj11 is one that I've never owned and have always wanted. Nice!
        It seems that everyone that had an xs11 either still owns it or wishes they still had it.
        79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
        80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
        80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
        79 DT 100

Comment

Wow, you have been busy! That's some nice work there and the heads look great with Geezer's new valves!
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I just got back from the shop today and was able to take the bike for a very short first ride after we finished up the brakes.

Here's a video I took with my phone of firing her up before we buttoned everything up and took turns riding the bike up and down the road behind the shop. Now I just need some tags!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kmjE_K0CAY
            Website/Blog

Comment

The rear proportioning valve is tough to understand.. we couldn't bleed the rear brake, so opened up the front bleeder valve and had no problems with it.

We eventually took apart the proportioning valve - it's confusing how that would ever work.. it was just stuck, but took some time contemplating if it was put together right to begin with.. eventually we decided we wouldn't screw it up any worse if we just put it back together after cleaning it up.

It's amazing it works. And then you read in the manual after you take it apart that you shouldn't take it apart!
              Website/Blog

Comment

Working...
              X