Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bike with new tires and the handle bars adjusted

Comment

As you can see i figured out how to post pics. Hope you like them.

But yet another new guy question... What kind of gas mileage should these bikes get? Just curious. Mine is getting about 55 MPG.

Comment

Originally posted by brndncrbtt View Post
        But yet another new guy question... What kind of gas mileage should these bikes get? Just curious. Mine is getting about 55 MPG.
        Wow!! That's incredible! Average is about 32-40, with some who have managed to pull mid- to upper 40's. Are you sure that's correct??

I just took off for 3 days on the bike and feel great! I had 1 day planned to ride but didn't come home for 3.
        That's the way to do it! I wish I could just take off, un-planned for 3 days on the bike!

i replaced all 6 pads and the front calipers
        You replaced the front calipers?? You didn't get rid of the old ones, did you?? I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands if you don't want them anymore!
        Last edited by CatatonicBug; 08-24-2010, 03:47 PM.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Unfortunately I did get rid of the old calipers. The piston on one was in pieces and the other I could not get free.

Comment

Unfortunately I did get rid of the old calipers. The piston on one was in pieces and the other I could not get free.
            Poop! Those things are unobtainium! Only the XJ and the '81 MNS (LH) used those calipers, so they are really rare. I actually have a left caliper with a bleeder valve stuck in it, I am going to find a way to restore it somehow!
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Man, I just left Minnesota six months ago. I hope your getting the most out of the frozen tundra's riding season!
              Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
              Ozark, Alabama

Comment

...But yet another new guy question... What kind of gas mileage should these bikes get? Just curious. Mine is getting about 55 MPG.
                55??? What, do you ride downhill everywhere?? If that's really what you're getting, don't touch ANYTHING!
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  55??? What, do you ride downhill everywhere?? If that's really what you're getting, don't touch ANYTHING!
                  That was my thought as well!!!
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

My "F" wouldn't get 55 mpg on its way to Earth if you dropped it from the space shuttle....

Forty, maybe.

Patrick
                    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                    1969 Yamaha DT1B
                    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Darn, dude!!!

Brandon,
                      GO BUY SOME LOTTERY TICKETS TODAY!!.
                      I can't believe it... a free bike, that looks like that and runs!!
                      And then he get 55mpg!!!!
                      Again.... go buy lotto tickets, you are on a frikin roll dude.
                      You can split the winnings with me for suggesting it!!! LOL!!!
                      1980G Standard, Restored
                      Kerker 4 - 1
                      850 Rear End Mod
                      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                      Automatic CCT
                      1980GH Special, Restored
                      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Nice, not a stock headlight, the chrome one is bigger (deeper) and the seat has a cover or been recovered. I also doubt the 55mpg but if you are truly getting that all I can say is I am jealous as my best was achieved doing 75-80mph on the freeway between Hudson, WI and Tomah, WI (following some folks from Minnesota) and I was getting 41 mpg otherwise I average 34mpg. Great find though. If you decide that you don't like those 4 piece bars I can tell you how I converted mine to a normal style.
                        Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

It's also missing the Yamaha cover below the headlight.
                          I kind of like the black headlight - not a fan of the turn signals though

Nice bike! Congrats on scoring a freebie!
                          82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                          Website/Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Prothec View Post
                            I kind of like the black headlight - not a fan of the turn signals though
                            That headlight is actually the bucket from inside a fairing. The black ring is standard for the Windjammer V.
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                            X