No announcement yet.

a couple newbie questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just be careful with that 650 bucket. I trashed mine a while back and found that the 650 bucket I first got didnt have enough room behind the headlight to accomodate the wiring harness. The OEM 1100 bucket on mine has a more bulbous rear end for the wiring to fit into, whereas the 650 one i got was just a spherical shape with no extra room. I found an OEM on ebay and with the help of another member, got it sent out here. It will fit up okay but you may have to really jam the wiring in to close it up.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
      Just be careful with that 650 bucket. I trashed mine a while back and found that the 650 bucket I first got didnt have enough room behind the headlight to accomodate the wiring harness. The OEM 1100 bucket on mine has a more bulbous rear end for the wiring to fit into, whereas the 650 one i got was just a spherical shape with no extra room. I found an OEM on ebay and with the help of another member, got it sent out here. It will fit up okay but you may have to really jam the wiring in to close it up.
      If you go with a smaller bucket, be careful of the headlight wattage, as too high can generate too much heat, possibly melting stuff. The other thing to be aware of is most of the OEM Yammy headlights mount with rubber grommets; this is a good thing for vibration, but the factory also has an 'adjuster screw' that helps stabilize the bucket; you may have to fab something for a non-stock install or risk having a 'friendly' light...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Perhaps I was wrong, I thought the XS650 bucket was a 100% match to the 1100 bucket.

Anyway, you can use bolts to mount the bucket, but the stock setup is that the turn signals have a bolt in them that goes through the brackets and into the headlight bucket and serve as the mounting bolts.

Turn signals
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

IIRC, that's what I used when I took the fairing off of Black Ice when I got it - a headlight bucket from a 650. It wasn't quite plug-and-play, but it was fairly easy to get working. The bucket bolts to the ears with the signal light stems. Make sure you grab a set of them, and the little bracket that bolts on under the bucket for setting the beam height.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            Perhaps I was wrong, I thought the XS650 bucket was a 100% match to the 1100 bucket.
            Yeah, that what I thought to, and was told that by others (not here) but it defininately didnt work that way in practice.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
              Yeah, that what I thought to, and was told that by others (not here) but it defininately didnt work that way in practice.
              They dont interchange, you can make it work, but you can make living wirh a whore work The baskets show up on ebay for a few bucks often
              1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
              1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
              1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Working...
              X