Sealing the bead on tubeless tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing the bead on tubeless tires?

Let's see if the collective wisdom can figure this one out...

Finally got my new tires mounted on my freshly-polished rims, but the rear one insists on leaking around the bead. The sealing suface on the wheel is spotless, as I made sure that was thoroughly clean and free of gouges, nicks, etc. The tire mounted fairly easily, and the bead comes right up when putting air in. But it doesn't seem to want to come quite all the way up. I lubed it with some dish soap for the initial install, and have since tried various things (WD40, window cleaner) with no success. I've tried pressures of up to 60 PSI... no help.

What makes this particularly irritating is I purposely swapped to later tubeless rims to get rid of the tubes, so I don't want to put a tube in unless I absolutely have to. By the way, these are my first tubeless bike tires, as the '78 XS came stock with tubes and all my other bikes have laced wheels; I was hoping to have one bike that I didn't have to fight tubes on. I guess worst case, I can squeeze some silicon in there and do it that way, but I don't want to glue the tire to the wheel either

Any tricks or ideas?
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Hey Steve,

Did you check the actual TIRE to make sure there wasn't any little ridges/bumps of extra rubber sticking out along the bead edge??

In my tire tech tips, I suggest the process of bouncing the tire on the ground with a small amount of air in it so that the tire can flex during the bouncing which can help walk/push the bead up onto the rim and into the proper position! Aside from what you've already tried with fluids and such, that's all I've got!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11700
      Check this out and it will show you about half way down the page, the little bead indicator line and explain the indian tire dance. That may help. Nix on the silicone etc, as I think you will regret that later. Good Luck
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Thanks guys, but the mystery is solved. After basically trying everything I knew and you said, it was still leaking slightly. Couldn't hear, see, or feel a leak, but the tire gauge doesn't lie... it's leaking somewhere

So I called a few neighbors until I found one that had a washtub I could submerge the tire/rim in (gonna have to buy one I see). Yep, there the little bastard is; leaking through my brand-new valve stem. The damn thing had a pinhole through the metal; what's the odds on that?? So, scrounged around and found one that would clean up nicely, installed that one, no leaks!

Leave it to me to get the one-bad-one-in-a-boxcar...

I'll add that this particular tire doesn't have any lines near the rim to tell if it's seated... grrr.
        Last edited by crazy steve; 08-14-2010, 08:58 PM.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Hi Steve,
          TRy removing the valve stem. Breaking the bead again Inflate from a compressor with holding tank so you get a rush of air and the bead( should)jump into place.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Just as another option instead of submerging the whole tire (or even large parts of it) just spray some soapy water on the tire. It will bubble where there is an air leak!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
              Just as another option instead of submerging the whole tire (or even large parts of it) just spray some soapy water on the tire. It will bubble where there is an air leak!
              That worked on the bead, but didn't show up the valve; it ran off too quick. Hey, it's all good now...

'82 XJ rebuild project
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

When mounting tubeless tires one really should use tire mounting lube / sealant. First it helps the bead slid into it natural full seated position. Then it bonds the tire to the rim with enough holding power to prevent sudden full deflation if the pressure should be low.
                This would not have helped in your case where the stem was faulty but in future and for others, consider using the lube / sealant.
                Rob
                KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
                X