Butterfly valve trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly valve trouble

I decided to replace my butterfly valve seals and upon removing my butterfly valve, it got bent because it was so hard to remove. I tried to flatten it back out but just made things worse due to the soft material. I will most likely need a new one or maybe a whole set. Does anyone know where to find these, as I cannot find them anywhere?
    1979 XS1100S
    4 into 1 Mac Header (No baffle)
    4 single air pods
    Carb settings:
    45 pilot jet
    137.5 main jet
    Needle clip 3rd position
    25mm float height
    100mm stretched diaphram springs

I cant seem to find any anywhere either. Mikes XS has the shaft seals that I think are the right ones, but thats not what your looking for. You might have to get ahold of Mikuni and see if they have them or buy some parts carbs.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Drumagician View Post
      I decided to replace my butterfly valve seals and upon removing my butterfly valve, it got bent because it was so hard to remove.
      This won't help you now, but for future reference, the screws holding the butterflies on the shaft are peened over on the back side to keep them from coming loose and getting sucked into the engine.

If you find a beat up carb that you can salvage a butterfly from, be sure to grind off the peening with a dremel. When you install the new butterefly, it would be a real good idea to use a drop of blue loctite.

If you verify which carb you need a butterfly for, and that it is for a '79, there should be lots available here.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

If anybody reading this has some for sale, please let me know. I need to ride!!
        1979 XS1100S
        4 single air pods
        Carb settings:
        45 pilot jet
        137.5 main jet
        Needle clip 3rd position
        25mm float height

Comment

Butterfly Valve Trouble Too

Drumagician,

I too, bent mine up a bit upon removal. I lightly hammered it back as best I could and then rubbed it back and forth asross a file to further flatten/smooth it out, and did the same to maintain the circumfrunce and bevel on the edges (CAREFUL, not too much).
          It turned out quite good and the bike runs well.
          LuckyEddie
          1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
          1982 XV750J Virago
          1976 GL1000
          1978 GL1000 Supercharged
          1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

I has that idea as well but was not sure how precise these things need to be. I think it would be very hard for me to get it back to perfect condition. I would think that getting the angle correct on the edge after filing would be next to impossible. But your right, it probably could be done with enough patience.
            1979 XS1100S
            4 single air pods
            Carb settings:
            45 pilot jet
            137.5 main jet
            Needle clip 3rd position
            25mm float height

Comment

Fix

If you haven't done dammage with your hammer, Lay them between two pices of "hard wood" with a "flat" side facing valve's. You can press them in a "good" vice, or tap them flat with a hammer. When you re-install them, use a good lock tight on screws, JB weld works nice. You can clean up the edges with an emri board, just remove burr's
              1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
              1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
              1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

I have some for sale. You can PM if interested.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                X