Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From internal exile: Oil pressure vs. line size.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From internal exile: Oil pressure vs. line size.

I am putting an oil cooler on my bike. The adapter plate has 1/4-inch ID fittings. The cooler I have has 3/8-inch ID nipples. I can't find couplers locally to go from one size to the other and if I get 3/8-inch ID high pressure line it is impossible to squeeze it over the cooler nipples, which are 1/2-inch OD. I did stretch regular 3/8-inch fuel line over the cooler nipples. but the first time I started the bike that line ruptured, painting the front of the garage. It was a pretty spectacular failure. Looked like a nozzle.

SWMBO is really unhappy about the oil on the front of the garage. She told me to clean it off. I told her the next rain would clean it off. She said that would get oil all over the ground. I told her, hey, this is Texas, the ground is already full of oil. She said shut the F up and clean off the garage. She did not say it that nicely. I am currently in hiding.

But I digress. Will I cause a drop in oil pressure if I replace the fittings on the adapter plate with 3/8-inch ID fittings? Would any drop in pressure be hazardous to my motor? Sadly, I installed the adapter plate before I found out that fuel line would not handle 60-80 pounds of pressure. I am just happy I painted my garage instead of my tires at 75 MPH.

Opinions desired.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

How are the hose barbs connected to the oil cooler body? If they are soldered on you could find the correct size fitting and you could remove the 1/2 one and solder in the correct fitting.

If it is molded into the cooler body you could always just step it down. Use a chunk of 1/2 hose then get a reducing hose barb and go down to 3/8 and so on.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Stepping it down with hose barbs was my original plan, Nate. I'm having trouble finding and hose barbs locally that have different size barbs on either end. I can find them online everywhere (1/2 to 3/8), but no one around here that I have found so far has them. I'd have to buy two different barbs and a connector, and I'm not anxious to hang all that brass on my oil feed line.

I've also discovered that finding a replacement fitting may also be a challenge. I can't believe out local plumbing suppliers are so poorly inventoried...
      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Find your local Grainger www.grainger.com I see you live in Austin TX and there are 2 in Austin itself not to mention suburbs. They have them.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2GUF7?Pid=search

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2GUH3?Pid=search
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Bingo. Thanks Nate.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

I'm sure they are threaded fitting that screw into your oil cooler base.

just turn them out and get the right ones.

the more joints you have in the oil system the higher your risk of failure on the road which will most likely cause engine failure.... not good....

Good luck!
            Webs
            1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
            1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Working...
            X