top end gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• top end gaskets?

Does any one know a place where i can just get top end gaskets rather than a whole gasket set?
    I dont really wanna pay almost $100 for just a head gasket base gasket cam cover gasket and exhaust gaskets.
    if you could direct me where to go that would be great, thank you

Try ebay...

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=xs11...ts_Accessories

Bikebandit...

http://www.bikebandit.com/?WT.mc_id=...66&PID=2547062

Yamaha...

http://www.yamahaaccy.com/parts.aspx

Partsnmore....

http://partsnmore.net/

Boats.net....

http://www.boats.net/
    Last edited by bikerphil; 07-07-2010, 09:58 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If you can get some gasket paper, you can cut your own from the templates here http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/in...43573#msg43573
      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

To make extra gaskets for my engine I took the part i wanted ran a bead of oil around the gasket edge with my finger then pushed it down on a sheet of gasket paper (from Canadian Tire or UAP or Partsource or just about anywhere)
        that left a perfect image and then i cut the gasket out with a sharp knife (Exacto knife or very sharp pocket knife or even scissors )

I hate buying extra kits for one or two gaskets.

Comment

i like doing my own gasketts but isnt there like metal in the head gasket? would i be able to cut it? thank you

Comment

You can usually find head gaskets seperate. I would not try to make those.
            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
            Original except:
            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
              You can usually find head gaskets seperate. I would not try to make those.
              I agree. The head gasket is really the only gasket you need. All the others can be sealed very easily with RTV (or your favorite HT-gasket-in-a-tube). No need to mess with paper. Of course, the exhaust gaskets might also be a candidate for purchase, but they aren't plain paper anyway.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

i like doing my own gasketts but isnt there like metal in the head gasket? would i be able to cut it? thank you
                No, you can't. The head gasket has integral 'crush gaskets' around the cylinders, and without them it probably isn't going to withstand the pressure. There are some on ebay in the $50 price range, but someone had a post up not long ago for a place that had them for $25 each. The valve cover gaskets can be hand cut, but they're big and probably more trouble to cut than they're worth. Here's a place you can get a valve cover gasket for $10 - probably cost you almost that much for gasket material.

When you put your head gasket on, don't forget to retorque it after the motor has warmed up and cooled back down. I just replaced one on a 79SF that had blown out due to improper torquing. Additionally it had an aluminum washer substituted for the fat steel ones that are supposed to be there, and missing cam tunnel bolts, which I'm sure didn't help things. For whatever reason, there were several head bolts that had to be re-torqued four times before they stayed put. Sometimes you've got to keep an eye on them for a while, but luckily you can get a torque wrench in there without removing the tank. My $.02
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

so when you say 'top end" are you asking about the valve cover or the head gasket or both. either way like what has been said RTV works great for everything on this bike except the head gasket and exhaust.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Here you go...

Here's a head gasket for $23.74.
                    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

i dint really think u could do a head gasket, ill buy that and use rtv for the rest? i just had my cylinders honed so yea thanks tho

Comment

If you can get access to the right thickness of copper sheet it's perfectly acceptable to make your own head gaskets. Its a bit of extra shagging around but they work just like any other head gasket. I havent made one for my bike, but have made many over the years for V8's and never had a problem. Heres a link to a crowd that make them for the racing and vintage scene, and they're nothing more than stamped copper sheet. That being said, if you've found one for 23 bucks then there's probably no point stuffin' around with making one. For those of us that sometimes dont have ready access to such parts dont be afrid to make your own.
                        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

i just bought some red rtv high temp sealent im gonna buy a head and exhaust gasket in a couple minuetes so hopefully in a few days i will have it put together, i still need to figure out the wiring, i got the bike for free so almost everything was hacked of, i am going to do a classic style xs bobber, so its gonna be fun, i will start a new thread later on. and get pics and all that stuff.

Comment

Red?? Why would you use Red RTV on a silver engine? To each his own, but you do realize you'll see the edges of the seams, right?
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

haha idk i asked the guy for hightemp rtv sealent and he handed me also bought a head gasket should be here in a few days

Comment

Working...
                              X