I have a suspician....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a suspician....

I am going back into a tranny. But I would like some thoughts.

On the Banshee, I did the dremel fix some time ago. No more slipping or machine gun effects. But, in first gear, when you first get on it after it has been engaged, it feels like it gets pulled in and hits.

I can put it in gear, let out on the clutch, and go down the road almost half a mile, then hit the throttle just a bit and BAM like someone hit you from behind, and it never does it again, and will not slip at all. ITs like the old first/second slip, but only one slip, then locked in.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Does sound familiar, but have you checked out the final drive splines?? JAT!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You know TC, I thought about that or even the middle drive. Oh, how I wish it were since I am parting out Thunderstruck, I have that really nice shiney middle drive from her I could swap out, or even the old XS11 FD from her to switch. But I can let off the throttle and it does not re-appear and it does not do it shifting into any other gear.

My thoughts are that some how, the gears are only partly engaging when I shift into first, enough to give me some torque, and take off from the line, but when you hit 2k or so and power really gets applied, with the back cut, they pull in tight.

Definitely interested in other theories though. Perhaps my observations above do not rule out FD??

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Have

you tried real hard engine braking. That may eliminate the middle and final drive posibility. Like you were thinking, if it doesn't "reset" when engine braking then I bet you're right about it being in the tranny.
        '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
        Original except:
        120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
        4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
        Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
        All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
        Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Well, last night I snuck out on the bike again for a brief ride. It seems to coincide with hitting about 3k rpm range. So now I am wondering if it is a tuning or fuel thing and the engine just kicks into the mains there. It definitely kicks like a mule though. May have to sneak out again just to check it more. But really, I can't go very far. The leg is still not quite up to holding the bike up or any "abrupt" forces. But it also definitely does not do it in other gears, only first.

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Well, last night I snuck out on the bike again for a brief ride.
            You've been a baaaaad boy! How far did you have to roll it down the street to keep SWMBO from hearing it fire up ?
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

She and the woman child were on a shopping run. The man child was gone as well. But the neighbors were out so we will see if word gets back.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Don - Unless they got pictures, deny, deny, deny To bad you didn't go to the Chung school of MA - then you could Remo Williams the neighbors with one of those korean pressure points that prevents speech . Gotta make that funny cello sound though .
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                X