No announcement yet.

xs weak front brakes but good flow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you maybe expecting it to act like a modern bike? These brakes are a bit hard to pull. They will come right to the edge of skidding the front tire on clean dry pavement, but it takes the whole hand and some pretty good pressure to get there. Braided stainless lines will help, as part of it is the lines swelling slightly, but the pads you have on there will make a difference as well. I find that organic pads give the best stopping power, and sintered copper give the least, with organic lasting the shortest time and sintered lasting the longest. I have not been able to find any ceramic ones, but I hear they are supposed to be kinda the best of both worlds. I found that with sintered pads, I had to squeeze a LOT harder, and if the organics are glazed, or even have EVER had a hint of oil on them you will never get good stopping power.

That said, in my experience these brakes have a stiff lever under the best of conditions.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
    X